3

THUNDER crashes

THUNDER crashes. it's pouring rain.

mike, lucas, dustin, and jordyn are standing opposite from the girl who is sitting on the couch out of breath. frightened.

"is there a number we can call? for your parents?" mike asked.

"where's your hair? do you have cancer?" dustin asked. "oop- dustin." jordyn playfully hit his chest.

"did you run away?" lucas asked. "are you in some kind of trouble?" mike asked.

"is that blood?" lucas asked. lucas reaches for the girl, but mike slaps his hand away.

"stop it! you're freaking her out!" mike exclaimed. "she's freaking me out!" lucas argued.

"do you talk?" jordyn asked. the girl just looked at jordyn.

"i bet she's deaf." dustin said. dustin claps his hands in a surprise move. the girl flinches.

"not deaf." dustin said.

"all right, that's enough, all right? she's just scared and cold. mike said.

mike goes to the laundry room. thunder makes the girl a little jumpy. dustin, lucas, and jordyn gave her a weird look.

moments later mike comes back with clean clothes for the girl. jordyns clothes.

"you wouldn't mind jordyn would u?" mike asked. "nope not at all." jordyn shakes her head no

"here, these are clean. okay?" mike said.

she cautiously accepts the clothing. she removes her jacket, stands, then begins to take off the only other thing she is wearing.

jordyn stopped her as lucas, dustin, and mike covered their eyes and looking away as if they've witnessed something gross.

"see over there, that's the bathroom, privacy, get it?" jordyn said trying her best not to laugh.

she still doesn't say a word. still looking confused about the whole situation. the girl gathers the clothes and heads to the bathroom nearby, jordyn follows.

the girl walks in looking around. strange looking room. jordyn begins to close the door, but the girl stops her.

"the hell- you don't want it closed?" jordyn asked.

"no." the girl said.

"aw you talk, okay well how about we just keep the door.." jordyn said closing the door until it's a three inch gap.

"is that better?" jordyn asked.

"yes." she said.

she sighed in relief walking away until.

"stay." the girl said.

"what?" jordyn asked.

"stay.... here." the girl hesitated.

"o- ok." jordyn nodded, she stands by the door, waiting for her to finish up getting dressed

" jordyn nodded, she stands by the door, waiting for her to finish up getting dressed

after the girl got done changing she exited out looking at jordyn.

jordyn smiled at the girl. "jordyn and.... you come here for a sec." mike pointed at the girls.

jordyn and the girl walked over to mike.

"hey um i never asked your name." mike added, jordyn sat next to him.

the girl pauses a moment, before lifting her sleeve. tattooed on her left forearm, inches above her wrist. 011.

"is that real?" mike asked reaching for her tattoo.

she pulls away, startled.

"sorry i've just never seen a kid with a tattoo before. what's it mean? eleven?" mike asked.

without speaking she taps her chest twice.

"that's your name?" jordyn asked.

she nods.

"eleven okay um well, my names mike short for michael. this is jordyn we call her jordy. maybe we can call you el. short for eleven." mike said.

el seems to like the idea, she gives them a nod.

"you're gonna sleep with her ok?" mike pointed to jordyn.

el nods, jordyn gives her a soft smile getting in the fort sitting next to the girl.

"um well okay, night el night jordy." mike soad standing up.

"night mike." el said.

"goodnight frogface." jordyn said.

mike smiled covering the fort's entrance with the sheet and heading upstairs.

el rests her head on jordyn's shoulder her lower lip trembles. thunder crashes lightning flashes.

"it's ok." jordyn muttered putting her head on top of el's, el whimpers.

"you're safe now." jordyn said rubbing her back in comfort.