37

THE MIND FLAYER passed by a kiosk under el, jordyn, and mike are hiding

the mind flayer finds the piece of itself from el's leg and absorbs it back into its body.

"where is it?" mike asked whispering. jordyn peaked to see where it was. "it's near the walkie-talkie." jordyn whispered. mike let's out a stressful sigh.

the mind flayer makes its way across the sunken plaza, it's massive jointed leg damaging a nearby support column.

mike sits up and looks over the counter, then crouches back down.

"it's turned away, if we go up the stairs now, we'll make it." mike said to jordyn.

"look at eleven's leg." jordyn yelled whispered. "we have to try." mike said. el touches jordyn's arm.

"there's another way- to get out. through the gap." El said. mike sits up once again, checking on the mind flayer.

"ok- now!" mike said. they get up and run into the gap. at the entrance, mike accidentally knocks over a display item causing a crashing sound.

"you fucking idiot." jordyn said. the noise gets the mind flayer's attention, it moves to the gap.

the mind flayer is too big to go into the store. so one of its tentacles eases out from its body to investigate the noise.

el, jordyn, and mike's hiding spot is behind the mannequins. the mannequin had the same shirt el was wearing.

it studies the mannequin then flings it against the wall. the mind flayer's tentacle flexes its claws as it probes various areas around the shop. it rounds a corner and finds the busted mannequin where it landed.

el, jordyn, and mike change position. the mind flayer's tentacle is searching. el, jordyn, and mike are frozen with fear.

the tentacle is slowly creeping toward el, jordyn, and mike. mike shifts his eyes, the tentacle is inches from his left shoulder.

mike grabs onto jordyn's hand holding it tightly. a ballon popped as the tentacle quickly retracts, the mind flayer goes to investigate the sound.

they make a run for it, they head for the back room. they run through the room, out the back door, and into the service hallway.

•••
they walk through an automated gate heading for the parking lot. billy and jordyn lock eyes.

"oooo he right their, go back." jordyn turned around. billy limps his way over to the loading dock gate.

quickly they make their way to the door, jordyn stops and runs to the gate she presses a button, the gate begins to close.

billy stops the gates from closing, then separates the doors with ease dark veins bulge from his arms, chest, and face.