chapter 4

"are you implying that my life has somewhat become some sort of fantasy romance book?"

loki's pov!

"so, any reason for you to pick me up this afternoon?", she asked, her breath visible due to the weather.

"why? i can't see my lover just because i want to?", i teased and she smiled.

"well, if you don't have plans yet, dear lover, i might have a few in mind."

"a date?"

"you know what that is?"

"natasha introduced the concept of a date to me the other day.", i said, "a sort of romantic outing?"

"or just a comfy hangout, time spent together.", she added.

"are you taking me on a date?", she asked after a while.

"i'm afraid i have no plans, so no, i'm afraid this time i come less prepared.", i chuckled and she laughed.

"okay then, i'll take you on a date.", she said without missing a beat, surprising me, "since i have the ideas and i do feel like you'd like this particular one."

her hand wrapped around my own as she dragged the both of us through the city.

"ta-da!", she said, stopping in front of a store.

it was small, and only when we stepped in did i realise where we were.

"we're in a bookstore.", i said, a grin starting to form on my face. rows and rows of books and the exquisite smell wafted in the air.

"we are.", she confirmed with a wide smile, "i can't believe i've never taken you here in our 4 months on earth, i have no idea how we survived up to now."

then, she added excitedly, "besides, aunt liza gave me my paycheck today, and she slipped in a few extra dollars too. so loki, darling, it's your lucky day."

"i couldn't possibly use up all your money.", i said to her, and she grinned.

"not all of course. but i'm taking you on a date, so that automatically means i'm paying. plus, i insist, lokes."

"see it as something you can do while waiting for me to finish work everyday. i'm sure you've reread all my books twice by now."

"thrice actually."

"see."

we went to several different shelves and got at least five books. well it was initially five, until we got to the fantasy section and she hauled back three books.

"i want books too.", she commented sheepishly as i stared at her, "plus i'm a sucker for fantasy romance books!"

"love, i come out of a myth.", i mused, "and then you and i fell in love. then, suddenly you have got whisked off to another realm, and you have enchanting powers now."

"are you implying that my life has somewhat become some sort of fantasy romance book?", she asked, turning to me with a soft gaze, "because if you are, i'm about to kiss you right here right now."

"perhaps that is exactly what i'm-"

she leaned up on me, and kissed me, both of our hands too occupied with books. she leaned a bit too much, and pushed me off balance, the both of us falling onto the floor along with the books.

we both sat down and laughed. i was the first that stood up and held out a hand to pull her up, and the both of us slowly gathered the books back in our arms from the floor.

"i think eight books is more than enough for now, don't you think?", she asked as we walked back to the counter to pay for our things.

i hummed, "more than enough, thank you."

"oh, it's no problem. it is only fair that i can finally buy you something.", she said, pulling out her card, as the books were getting scanned to checkout.

now holding the two bags filled with our books, we strolled under the night sky. we took longer than expected in that bookstore.

"can't i use a little magic? at least to place these two somewhere else."

"better not out in the public, love.", she muttered quietly, "fury would sue me."

"he already found out about your presence and i insisted on you staying with me. after much persistence from me and eventually thor and the rest, he relented and told me that you are my responsibility."

"no need to remind me of that pirate.", i said with a huff, "everyone who wears eyepatches have the same arrogance in their bones."

"he's just doing his job.", she shrugged a little, "not everyone knows you like i do, lokes. i think he's a bit wary of trust."

"clearly."

"no more talking about him.", she said resting a hand on my arm, "let's talk about something else. like...oh! what do you want for dinner?"

i looked at her, who was looking up at me expectantly, "i want....what was it called? the spicy salmon rice meal we had the other week."

she thought about it for a while before saying, "oh! salmon mentai rice."

she wasted no time in leading me to the exact location.

"wanna take out or dine in?"

"dine in."

she looked at me strangely.

"i assure you the charm is working fine.", i added, "no one will recognize me."

"that's not what i meant when i looked at you weirdly.", she said, "this is the first time you ever said dine in. it was something new from you."

"it's a good time to try new things."

"huh it must be that time of season."

"or the beautiful girl next to me."

"ah, is that so?", she said blushing, "well for me, i'm sure courting a thousand something year old man can very much count as trying something new."

i shoved her a bit to the side and she looked at me innocently, "what? it's true."

"respect your elders, belle."

"stop, you didn't-", she said, a laugh twisting into her features, "you- you called yourself an elder!"

i grumbled with protest and she continued laughing at me with pink-tinted cheeks, the cold lingering on her breath.

"you're funny, you know, elder."

"sometimes i wonder if i love you or if i want to strangle you."

"definitely don't strangle me unless you don't want salmon.", she said, as she stopped in front of the restaurant.

we walked in and had what was one memorable dinner night.

author's note:

sweater weather days are coming back to me again.

also to clarify in case i do forget to mention it in future chapters, belle's hair is short and brown, light or dark it varies okay- let's just act like she got a haircut when they got back :D