chapter 25

"merry christmas eve, idiots!"

belle's pov!

"merry christmas eve, idiots!", tony shouted, his voice blasting from the speakers. nat snatched the mic from his hands, glaring.

"don't be a grinch, agent.", tony grumbled, and then widened his eyes, running away from natasha who looked murderous.

i moved to see loki sitting down on one of the couches, thor beside him, munching on the cookies we made and praising them thoroughly.

loki's gaze met my eyes and i held that look for 3 seconds then smiled briefly.

"tequila?", steve asked beside me.

that gave me a reason to look away from loki, "yes, thank you steve."

"try not to get too drunk.", he said as we clinked glasses, "you were wasted last time."

"i had a good time.", i huffed, "but tonight i'm planning to stay pretty sober. wouldn't want to forget a moment like this."

after that kiss loki and i had shared in the kitchen, we resumed our cookie task. then afterwards, i took that small time in the shower relishing in the momentary peace alone.

i drew circles on my temples with my fingers as i tried to find a thousand reasons for my actions as to how and why i did that. why i said i wanted to kiss him, and how i had the confidence to kiss him like that.

it was so unordinary of me, that i wasn't even sure if it was really me or someone else out there. i guess the only indication that i knew for sure it was me is because every time i touched my lips i can still feel traces of him there.

as i got ready, i hesitated on which dress i'm wearing and against the nerves in my mind, i decided to wait and ask loki for his advice.

so i waited, until he was done showering, until he stepped in the room with the intention of grabbing his clothes from the shared wardrobe we have, only to see me standing there.

"why haven't you dressed?", he said as he fumbled around the rack, choosing his own clothes.

"i got confused.", i said bluntly, almost embarrassedly, "i don't know which dress to wear."

he took his outfit of choice out, his iconic black suit but this time lined with elegant gold on the cuffs and lapels.

"do you want my help?", he asked softly, glancing at me for a second before going back and taking his undergarments.

"yes, your help will be very," i paused finding a word, and cringing when i said the first thing that came up, "helpful."

well of course his help would be helpful, it's literally help- why- why did i say that?

he went to my side of the wardrobe and slowly pulled out two dresses, one black and one a really dark shade of brown.

"i think one of these two are okay.", he said with an observing look, handing the hangers to me, "perhaps you can put on a blazer, white or cream, to go with it."

"thank you.", i said, looking up from the dresses only to find out loki has already stepped out of the room.

i chose the black dress and a cream blazer.

on our way to the tower, we refrained from holding hands. he was holding the bag full of cookies and i was holding two of our presents. i think we used that as our main excuse.

still, everytime we crossed a street, his arm always wrapped around my shoulders protectively and stayed there until we reached the other side.

it wasn't like we were fighting, but we were definitely distancing ourselves a bit. which perhaps was reasonable and needed.

we're both adults, and we need to think and in order to think we need time, usually space too. it's just..i just reached adulthood recently so i still have the urge to break down like a teenager.

i sipped the tequila, and let the sweet caramel taste burn down my throat.

"when is the gift opening happening again?", i asked steve after my third sip.

"i think they're starting to play, spin the bottle, so after that maybe.", he replied casually. the most casual i've ever seen him, actually.

it's nice to know all of us can relax for tonight, no missions, no training, just time.

"is that even a christmas activity?", i asked with furrowed brows.

he just shrugged.

"you're not joining?", i asked him then, and he shook his head, "not interested."

"what? tony isn't the least bit attractive? how about bruce? ooh or perhaps thor? i mean, nat's always there but she'll probably punch you before you even try."

steve laughed, "hmm, tony's too annoying, i'd pass for bruce and thor. but nat.."

he gazed at her for a second longer before shaking his head, "she's a great friend."

i thinned my lips, and mentally noted how steve still isn't over someone. from the past.

"okay then.", i said with a shrug, "personally, i'll pass too."

"but then again, you and nat.", i dragged out, and steve rogers elbowed me, making me spill my drink a little.

"hey!", i said, and he just grinned.

"cheer up.", he said, "i'm going to check on pietro, wanda, and peter. wanda and pietro are allowed to drink but peter's not. but if i know pietro, he's going to make peter drink on a dare."

"kids checkup? nice.", i commented with a smile.

"pietro's your age.", steve said with another righteously annoying smirk, "that makes you a kid too."

"i'm older!", i said in defense, "on top of that, i don't act like him at least."

"and thank goodness for that.", steve sighed in relief, "if i had to look out for you four and every single one of you acted like pietro, i'm about to age much faster."

"you don't age.", i rolled my eyes, "but thanks for being the father role in this group, steve. we appreciate it."

and i mean it, tony may act like a super chill dad to peter, and clint may show us great hide-and-seek tips to me and wanda, and bruce is probably the only one that can talk to pietro with pietro actually listening, but steve always looked out for each of us, in his own way, and he shows that he cares more often than the others do. i know there's been multiple times he got us food when he got back from his morning run.

and with that he left, to find the three others.

i looked around. there were still plenty of people to annoy before eventually, the talk had to be talked. before eventually, i'll have to sort things out with loki again. 

author's note:

it's still strange writing about christmas after christmas is over.
but then again i dug myself this hole.

also, by the way, i think i will most likely finish my story by the end of march or the beginning of april, because i fear that i might not have the time to write as i do now in the upcoming months. these are hard times where my writing schedule and school won't ever seem to align anymore :/ so expect more updates and the end of afterglows soon<3

(and uh this chapter isn't much because it continues on with the next one. you see, it was originally one chapter but i had to split it because it was too long. so i hope the next one makes up for this one :D)