Chapter 7

COBALT

Cobalt's gaze was focused on their new capturer. Not only were they prepared, they were different, and not in a good way.

Why are their scales so... so washed out? She thought. What did they call themselves? CaveWings? CavorWings? They are so weird! Too pale for me too, not enough colour, not enough wings...

Cobalt stressed under her breath, "Moons... We are so-"

"Answer my question," Skull demanded.

"What question was that exactly? Oh, I'm feeling incredibly forgetful," Locust snickered.

"Silence!" The white dragon snapped around to face the HiveWing, his underscales glowing like a thousand stars.

"Oh, you have cool glowing scales that can light up." The HiveWing mocked again. "That's... cool."

"I said, silence." roared Skull, ejecting a blinding flash of light that just missed Locust's horns by a second. The white dragon panted, steam rolling out from the side of his jaws.

Excuse me, they can do WHAT? Cobalt's snout was awestruck. That's SO cool! I wonder if back in the hive I can find some science behind that.

Skull must have noticed her staring at him, as he laughed in response.

"What's wrong, little butterfly? Never seen a cave flare before?"

"I- Well- it's just so- so- cool." She stumbled for words. Locust was forcing his gaze on her, eyes stiffened.

"Cool? Cobalt, it nearly killed me!" roared the HiveWing. "Do you find my death COOL?"

"N-no! I would never it's just from an evolutionary standpoint, it's-"

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT SCIENCE!" Her friend growled.

Cobalt bowed her head, disappointed. It's just too cool! Come on Locust! Even you could admit that was amazing.

The dragon general stepped toward her, "If you find that cool little insect, then just wait until you see what more we have to offer."

"Y-you can do more..?"

Skull barked a laugh. "We're not powerless, unlike some dragons."

Not powerless! I'm sorry, did you not just see that beam of light you just shot?! Not powerless, really? NOT powerless?

The pale dragon stepped back before calling to his comrades, "Come here, we must talk, without any..." he glared at the group of dragons, "disturbances."

With that, the dragons marched out of the cave and into the tunnel.

Cobalt sat, pondering what had just occurred. Aster would never believe me! Dragons that can shoot light? He may as well call me crazy!

She directed herself away from the thoughts and to her fellow captured dragons.

Dragonfly was muffledly screaming toward Locust, the HiveWing raising his brows in disapproval.

Wait. She moved on toward the LeafWings. The female, next to Acacia. We don't know who she is. I don't trust her anyway, she threatened to kill Locust.

Cobalt heard a small ruffling, and she shot her head right. A small red and green bird was perched on the cave's wall. She gasped, "Spike!"

"Keep your voice down!" the dragon named Metatarsals yelled from the doorway. "We're exchanging information!"