Chapter 46

ACACIA

Acacia sat with his talons to floor, watching his sleeping mother with keen interest and relief. Socotra had nearly died at the talons of many a few, nearly fatal wounds, which had bled her scarlet blood deep into the ground. Much to his ease, his mother was alive and well, and he had Cobalt to thank for it. As for his father...

Acacia sighed. He still couldn't choke down the realisation that he had killed his own father.

But I had to do it, he told himself, he would have killed Cobalt!

Socotra's jade form startled in her slumber, hissing and clawing at invisible dragons. Acacia was even sure he heard his mother battle-curse Wasp, once or twice.

Most of those wounds look like they're here to stay... His thoughts mumbled, pitying his sleeping mother. She's not going to be pleased. I know how much mother loved her appearance.

Acacia looked up at the moon-lit sky, the breeze rushing past his face. How long will this battle drag out? How long until every dragon upon the grassland is no more than a faint memory?

Acacia heard the sound of ruffling wings, as he quickly whipped his head to the side, only to find Lunate scrambling down from the sky. His landing wasn't as perfect as Acacia had imagined, as the pale CavernWing landed with his talons stretched out and his underbelly touching the emerald grass of the open plains. Lunate's eyes widened, as he gasped for air.

"Too many dead dragons!" The CavernWing wailed. "I could hardly cope with all those Tree Wars spirits, and now this?!"

"What?" Acacia asked, as he got up to stand near where Lunate had crashed. "Are they talking to you? Like, right now?"

"Not as simple as that... but yes."

Acacia swallowed, cautious of what he knew he would inevitably ask, "C-can you speak to my father?"

"Yo' dad dead?"

"Uhm... yes..." Acacia whispered, "I- I may have killed him..."

"Huh, well I guess I can try talking to him."

"Thanks..." He remarked, before Lunate turned around to face the raging war, that still remained in the sky.

What seemed like a millenia later to Acacia, Lunate spun back around to face him, his brow curled.

"Oh, he's annoyed," the CavernWing said, his voice trailed with amusement, "extremely annoyed."

Before Acacia could answer, Lunate jerked his head to the right, frowning.

"You- you're saying that about your son?" Lunate pointed, with a talon, toward the orange-speckled LeafWing.

There was a moment of silence that followed, before the pale CavernWing spoke again.

"Sheesh, wow, ok..." Lunate said, before continuing, "Wait, you want me to say that to him?"

Another brief silence followed.

"Uhm, ok... then." The silver-shining dragon turned to Acacia, "Your father would very much like to inform you that he thinks you're an ugly disgrace and a disappointment to Pantala. He also-"

Yet again, a deathly silence swept over the two dragons.

"Yes, yes, I am getting on with that!" Lunate hissed. "Ungrateful LeafWin- RIGHT, RIGHT, I WILL NOT OFFEND YOU, OH SO GREAT LEAFWING DRAGON."

Acacia sat still, unmoving, waiting for the rest of his father's message.

"He also says that if you do anything to your mother, he will physically find a way to come back to life just to tear out your throat- moons, that's a bit violent."