Chapter 23

COBALT

There was an eruption of growls from Mason, before he barked. "Get them! Get them all!"

Cobalt sprang upward, frantically shoving the skull into its satchel.

Oh moons, oh moons, we're not going to survive this.

Panic was written across her maw, before she swallowed her breath.

Deep breaths, deep breaths. She chanted within her mind. You've never been in a fight before, and it probably won't be your last. Probably.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Acacia.

"Are we, uhm, supposed to, like, fight now?"

"I-I think so..." Cobalt's eyes tightened.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Well, you're the best at this. So... could you maybe...uh-"

"Lead?"

"Yeah. It's ok if not-"

"Sure."

"Great."

"This is it." She gulped. "Shall we?"

Acacia nodded, and with that, they charged forward into the circle of HiveWings, Admiral, Mallow, and Dragonfly close behind.

Cobalt's first move was rather an obvious one, flamesilk. She swirled the ember from her wrists, with no time at all, entangling the two HiveWings closest to her.

They yelled with resentment, kicking their hind legs in unison.

Hah. Not bad for my first atta-

"What is this trickery?" Wasp's voice echoed within one of the two zombie soldiers.

What does she mean trickery? It's just flamesil- OH NO. Cobalt squawked with dismay. She had used her flamesilk, and in front of Wasp.

"For moon's sake!" Cobalt swore under her breath. How could I be so foolish?

"It burnsss." Her prisoner hissed. "It burnsss."

She dropped her head to her wrists, expecting burning fires of orange flame, but what she proceeded was unexpected. Her silk was blue. Not red nor orange, blue. It was similar, if not the same colour as her eyes, radiating from beneath her scales and veins. It was blue.

"GUYS!" She yelled, panic flashing on her scales. When none responded from their fight, she repeated again. "GUYS!"

"What?" Locust roared. "Kind of in the middle of something here!"

"Y-yeah b-b-but..." Cobalt was trembling more than ever.

"GET ON WITH IT COBALT!"

"I CAN'T!" She was almost in tears, somehow.

"What do you mean?" Locust flapped from nearby, pinning his brother.

"M-m-my silk." She choked. "I-i-i-it's b-blue."

"What?" Locust's voice was drowned out from the commotion.

"Let go of me, worm." One of her captives growled.

Something sparked inside Cobalt, almost of determination, as she hissed back.

"No."

"That is an order, pest."

"I am no pest. If anything, you are the pest."

"How rude."

"How? I don't care."

"You little-"

Cobalt rushed on with pride, knocking everything out of her path. Her talons imprinted the stone flooring, claw prints as deep as her antenna destroying the walkway.

Now, this is fun.

She spotted Dragonfly pinned near the centre, and she took her move. Cobalt strode over, clawing up the HiveWing with one claw, brute force. Her talons tightened around the soldier's neck, and it howled.

"You see Wasp," Cobalt snickered. "You are not all-powerful. As displayed here, by me."

"Capture. Take. Overpower." Was the dragon's last words, before being chucked by Cobalt, over the entire stretch of the battlefield.

Cobalt applauded her action, turning to Dragonfly.

"I- I- H-how in Clearsi- Y-you?" He was speechless.

A large grin formed across Cobalt's snout, before she stated.

"Magic."

The amber HiveWing became wide-eyed with her speech, scrambling up from his position.

"Y-your v-voice i-i-t's-"

"Who's the stuttery one now?"

"Who's the ego filled one now?..." The prince mumbled.

"Shut up. Also, thank you for agreeing, you have an absolute ego."

"I'm beginning to think that isn't you..."

"What do you know about me?" Cobalt snorted.

"You're shy, shy, shy and guess what? SHY. You would also, not dare, even oppose me. That may be because of my title or bec-"

"Again, shut up."

"You would also not say that."

"Whatever, adios."

"What? Adios? Wha-"

-<●>-

Cobalt sped through the remaining HiveWings, saving her friends, and even absolutely destroying Locust's brother for him.

When she was finished, Cobalt turned to the group, to receive five, blank stares.

"What?" She barked a laughed. "Was I too good for you?"

"Cobalt I HAD that." Locust lowered his brow.

"No, you're just jealous that I defeated your own brother, in combat, when you couldn't."

"Look who's got an attitude now?" The yellow HiveWing mumbled under his breath.

Does he think I'm death? Cobalt snarled. I can obviously hear him.

"I CAN HEAR YOU." She barked.

"Uhm, Cobalt, this isn't like you, are you ok?" Admiral questioned.

"Yeah!" Acacia bounced in. "Are you ok?"

"I'm perfectly fine." Cobalt walked forward to the two dragons. "See?"

"No, no, you're not." Admiral stated.

"Pfft! And how is that?" She rolled her eyes.

"Well, your silk was that blue colour, you're unbelievably powerful, you have an ego like a self-filled Prince, and your voice, it sounds different..."Acacia lowered his head.

"My silk is fine now, I'm as powerful as I should be, I don't have an ego, like some dragons, and my voice is perfectly fine."

"Cobalt, listen to them." Mallow began. "They're right."

"Are they now?"

"Yep."

"Yeah."

"Yup."

"Yes."

"Definitely."

"Shut up." Cobalt growled. "I am p-perfe-perfect-perfectl-y-y..."

And with that, Cobalt slipped into a darkened trance, her sight fading as she felt herself fall into the unknown.