Keep Friends Close, but Keep Enemies Closer

This is a Dream x The Bad Sanses story. The title was too long but this is Part 1: Where it Began. I hope you enjoy!

The moonlight poured onto the empty field, stained with the scent of dust and blood. Dream shakily stood up. Ink and Blue were behind him, badly injured. They were in an Altertale Pacifist route. There had been reports of Nightmare's gang hanging around in the forest. The Star Sanses decided to check it out and low and behold, the Bad Sanses were there. They had been fighting for what seemed to be hours. One of Nightmare's tentacles shot towards Dream, knocking him to the knees of Ink and Blue. Dream looked up at them, seeing worried expressions on their faces.

"Dream! Are you okay!?" Blue shouted, pulling Dream closer to him and Ink.

Dream was now facing Ink and Blue. They were all on their knees. Dream nodded and looked back at the Bad Sanses. They were walking closer. Dream's mind went into a fuzzy panic, mixed with his body screaming in pain. He could barely move because his spine was shattered and he lost some of his ribs. This had to be one of the worst fights they'd had that week.

"Look at you all, pathetic," Nightmare's voice boomed, "Finally, now you won't interrupt any of our plans."

The group walked even closer till they were all surrounding the Star Sanses. Killer threw a knife right at Dream's leg, making him fall on his stomach. Horror stepped on Dream's back before he could even react. Several cracks were heard as Horror twisted his foot. He didn't scream. He didn't even whimper, for he knew that's what they wanted, they wanted to hear them beg for mercy. To beg for their lives. To cry out in fear. But Dream refused to give them this satisfaction. Ink and Blue couldn't do anything except watch back in terror. The Star Sanses had nearly no strength left. Dream knew what he had to do. Blue quickly shot a blue bone straight into Horror's chest. Dream took this opportunity. He formed a small gold force field around them. Ink and Blue stared at him.

"It's okay, we'll get out of here! I'll make a portal!" Ink said, nearly tearing up.

"Ink, you don't have enough energy to be able to get us all through." Dream said.

"Then we'll find another way!" Ink said.

Dream smiled at Ink and pulled them into a hug.

"You were the best friends I could ever have asked for. We've been through so much together. I made a promise to give my life to protect you two. My friends, it's time for you to carry on the Star Sanses."

Dream closed his eyes and channeled all the energy he had left.

"May your fate be not yet sealed, for a light has been revealed. My friends it is time that you must go on, I hope to see you in the beyond. I'll see you soon, now go and fulfill our duty. We'll meet again, but until then, may death do us part..." Dream said.

Ink and Blue glowed gold.

"DREAM NO!!!" They shouted at the same time. Dream smiled and fell to the ground.

They were teleported away. The Bad Sanses stood in shock. Dream had sacrificed himself for them. Dream's vision began to fade, the coursing waves of pain filled his body. Everything became black.

***

Dream opened his eyes. That familiar pain started to surge through him again. He was in a dark room and he could see nothing. But he had a feeling he was being watched. That's because the Bad Sanses were all watching him from the corners of the room. Except for Horror, who was on a cot. He had been injured from the battle more badly than the others. Dream realized he was wearing several bandages and felt artificial magic in his spine to keep it together. He felt over his rib cage, realizing that 3 ribs were missing. He shivered in the coldness of the room. He was bare bones except for all the bandages and a comfortable white tunic. He saw a pad of bandages on a table beside him. He leaned over and grabbed them. Dream looked around the room and laid his eyes upon Horror. Dream started to get up, but a stabbing pain echoed through his spine. He ignored this as he stumbled out of the bed. He could barely walk as he stumbled towards Horror. The others got their attacks ready as Dream stood above Horror. Horror opened his eyes as he looked over at Dream. He was startled as his hand went to grab his axe. Dream carefully took his hand and held it. He laid Horror's hand by his side and placed one hand on where the stab wound was. Horror flinched as he felt a tingling sensation fill his body. It was calming to him. Dream laid a hand on Horror's cheek bone and gently rubbed his thumb across it. Horror sighed and leaned into Dream's touch. He had never been cared for like this before. Horror's hand drifted up to Dream's hand and held it. Dream smiled weakly and started singing.