Chapter 3- Yesterday.....(his morning)

The day for Vit and family had started with breakfast as usual with the extended family joining together at the dining table. The ancestral house though more than a hundred years old, had been renovated in recent years and provided the sectional freedom and joint spaces that suited a modern joint family. It had recently been featured in Architectural Digest. Breakfast and dinner were loosely family times and the members kept on moving about.

Uncle or chachaji as he was respectfully addressed, was the patriarch and everyone would touch his feet and take his blessings before leaving the house. The upcoming marriage in the extended family had created a buzz around the table and everyone was milling about getting ready for the pre -wedding ceremonies that would start early afternoon and continue for the two days.

That morning Vit was already late for his meetings at the main office and was literally gulping down the food. He knew he will have to wrap the work quickly to participate in the ceremonies later in the day. He quickly finished his food and went to touch chachaji's feet.

'Vit, I need you to run an errand for me. There is a friend who should be there at the wedding and needs to be invited at this last minute. There is an invitation card with his name at the other table. He is attending an event at the University today, please invite him on my behalf.'

'Sure uncle.'

'Don't worry about the campaign meetings, I have asked Neel to look into them. The event might have some more people from the industry see if you feel like catching up with any of them.'

'Sure uncle.'

'But be back in time for the evening dancing (sangeet) . You have not enjoyed yourself in a long time.'

'Sure uncle.'

'I will ask my secretary to fix some time with that girl you are engaged to, you should spend some time with her.'

'Sure uncle.'

Vit moved quickly to the door  before any further instructions came. The drive to the university was uneventful and Vit used the time to finish his work, calling up his secretary Param to direct most of the tasks. He wanted to locate uncle's friend, invite him, socialize a little with some his circle and then run to office before the evening festivities.

Vit dressed in crisp dark blue suit walked purposely towards the university. The event venue was the auditorium and student volunteers seemed more than happy to guide him. It turned out that uncle's friend was the chief guest and would not be available till the event was over. Vit decided to walk into the crowded auditorium, thinking he would love to sit in a corner and enjoy some time out.

As the doors opened and Vit heard the booming female voice talking about geology and botany his body started shaking. Reining in his reaction he tried to see the speaker. It was her. She sounded different, looked different but he was sure in his head and heart that this was her. Dressed in a beautiful saree she was giving a lecture on the importance of geology and botany and why the twain should meet.

Vit went from wanting to scream and shout that she existed to noticing how beautiful she was and the way she carried herself. He wanted to call up uncle, his lawyer and everyone else who had refused to believe him. And there she stood, in flesh and blood taking in the appreciation of the audience. The brown and gold saree and the shoulder length hair gave her an aura of an angel. College students to his left were making comments and he wanted to punch them for ogling his wife!

She was talking about how geology and botany meet and create so many opportunities. He knew this was her favorite subject, she had talked about this for full one month he recalled. He smiled to himself and realized her passion for sustainability and climate support was in full flow in this lecture. He found his corner and enjoyed her answering audience questions. The round of applause when she finished her talk broke his reverie. His gaze followed her as she walked towards the first row to the appreciation of some senior fellow.

It was when Mainak approached her that his eyes literally popped out. He knew Mainak was trying to hit on her and she had that polite yet distant response. Her smile was fake and she was a bit bothered by the attention. He moved through the crowd towards the front row, both the people he wanted to meet were right there. He would invite uncle's friend and also meet her. What he would say and ask her he could not think. 

His phone buzzed and he checked it was uncle. He decided to pick this one and moved out of the auditorium to talk in privacy. He needed to report her presence. 

'Pranaam uncle'

'Vit have you met the professor? In case of any issues remember you are on the patron board. Call me if you face issues.'

'Sure uncle I know where professor uncle is, but I wanted to report one more thing. She is here.'

'She? who is here?'

'My wife, she was one of the speakers.'

Silence.

'Are you sure?'

'Yes it is her.'

'You always said you had given her the danglers - the earrings.'

'Yes she is wearing them today.'

'Good, then see if you can get them back. More importantly call up Yash for advice.' 

'Sure, uncle.'