Chapter 37- Late night calls

Author's Note- firstly thanks for 3.2 k views. And here is the fortnightly chapter

Please comment to share what you think about the story arc :)

I will try to post a chapter every other weekend. Your comments and votes will motivate me.

=============================================================================

Uncle had tried to call up Param to congratulate on the Roka. But as expected Param was busy with the celebrations so next he tried calling Vit who did not pick up the call as he was already driving. The next person he tried was Yash who responded that he was late as usual. When Yash reached the big hall he met Param and called uncle to help convey his wishes.

'Congratulations Param, you have taken one more step towards marriage.'

'Thanks uncle for the blessings.'

'I am sure Vit would have made excellent arrangements for the event. Do let me know if there was a problem, I will pull his ears.' Param was like a baby of the family and sometimes uncle liked to indulge him. The history of loss of his family in a terrorist attack and his struggle to be successful had endeared him to the Rajevas.

'The arrangements are good, but do pull his ears.' Param decided to share his complaints.

'Why what did he miss?' uncle asked.

'That is the problem, he did not miss anything. He hogged all the limelight.'

'Vit did something in public? That is a surprise, what did he do?' Uncle asked

'He was hitting on Rukma mam big time. He stole my thunder, and I have promised revenge.' Param shared.

'What! what did he do?' Yash's ears also perked up.

'Yash were you late as usual?' uncle asked.

'Yes but I had no clue that something would happen here. I thought Vit would disappear in a corner like his usual self. But it seems something else happened here. '

'It was not something else, it was something completely out of character for boss! Why were you late?' Param asked. 

'Do you have evidence of what all happened?' Yash deflected the question using his legal skills. 

'He flirted with her and danced with her! I can get the videos by tomorrow afternoon.' Param shared.

'Can you see Vit around? Let us ask him right away!' uncle was angry by now.

'I have not seen him here ever since I came in. I did see one of Vit's supercars leaving the farmhouse when I drove in.' Yash tried to be helpful.

'This is Vit's farmhouse why will he leave for somewhere else?'

'That is weird  but let us not waste time on it. Param, can you come over and get the videos for Yash to see. In the meantime, Yash check if you can catch Vit for his side of the story. We will meet tomorrow afternoon at my office at RR.' uncle declared and closed the call.

Yash messaged much later in the night that Vit was not at the farmhouse. He had left just before midnight.

By the time Rukma had changed clothes and hit the bed, there had been at least three missed calls from Aditi.

Rukma called her friend: 'I reached home in one piece.'

'I know that, tell me what all happened? What did he talk about?' Aditi was curious.

'We talked about various things, his nickname, loss of memory and the nickname he gave me.'

'Phool kumari! that sounds like good progress, but you don't sound happy.'

'Well one of my anklets is missing and secondly he warned me about people trying to trap me in marriage?'  Rukma shared.

Aditi was laughing, 'See he is looking out for you.'

'He was upset because I, you and Rahul were eating jalebis from the same plate! Imagine!'

'So he was keeping an eye on you Rook!' Aditi continued to laugh.

'He thinks I am a baby and treats me like a baby. I am not happy with that!' Rukma was angry.

'Awww....so sweet!'

'For the record I am not a baby, far from being his baby!!' 

'Don't tell me you slapped him again.' Aditi was trying to control her laughter. 

'This is nowhere near funny Dits, He offered me 100 crores again! He said that that showed that he cared for me!

'Very interesting way to show his care! What did you do?' Aditi was curious.

I stepped on his shoes and made sure he sighed in pain.'

'Ah, so you continue with the title of 'violent wife'. Aditi was still laughing.

'It would have been a great title, only if I really was his 'wife'. Remember  I do not fit the requirements.' Rukma bit out. 

'Damn the requirements, the man has lost his heart to you ............he is chasing you ....and I know Rook that you also love him.' Aditi reminded her.

'Yes Dits even to this day I ask why it could not have been some lowlife like Mainak. I could have easily hated him. Or that creepy Jakes, asking me for one night stand for the last five years!! But .....this fellow is .....can you believe it ......he was flirting with me in the car as well!

'Wow, its great that you both are now comfortable enough to flirt with each other.'

'Dits stop being the eternal optimist of the romantic kind! It hurts!'

'I have reason to be optimistic.'

'And that reason is?' Rukma was very curious now. 

'Rook, I can tell you that guys do have a future and now I have to run to the kids. But before you interrupt me let me tell you one fact- it was his farmhouse.'

'What do you mean it was his farmhouse?'

'The farmhouse where the event took place belonged to Vit.'

Aditi cut the call leaving Rukma stunned. Her phone clattered to the floor. It did not take Rukma too much time to deduce why Vit's car was parked in prime location or he knew the route to the city so well. But the most startling realization was that he drove 50 km to drop her off. No one had asked him to do it, he had no responsibility, but he had offered to drive her. She now realized that Aditi was surprised when he offered first to drop her. There was no rhyme or reason for him to offer to driver her home, except.....The thought scared her, it was a reality she did not want to face...she decided to message Param next morning to convey her thanks.....

If sleep was far away for Rukma, matters were worse for Vit. He was equally tired and rattled by the day's events. Her words still echoed in his head- 'I am not your usual use and throw types!'. He could not imagine her to be anything but serious in the matters of heart. The kind of girl....the kind of girl ....one takes home to parents....Rahul had understood her well and so had he.....Damn, he did not like where his thoughts were taking him......

While driving to RR he could hear tingling sounds and when he discovered one of Rukma's anklet on the car floor, he picked it up and carefully kept it in his pocket. The wifey section in his wardrobe was growing with every encounter, it started with the danglers, then came the roll of thread and then the hair clip. And now the anklet was added to it. He felt all he needed was a photograph of Rukma to turn it into a shrine.

Damn! all I need is a photo of her to start worshiping her!