Chapter 8--Horribly Happy

Vit had a horrible and happy day. It was the day of his cousin's marriage and as a brother he was happy for her. He would never forget that while he enjoyed all the festivities with family, Rukma and his marriage were never far from his mind. He had deposited the documents with his lawyer Yash and had proceeded straight to the marriage venue. It was agreed that Yash would meet him and chachaji (uncle) next morning to share his analysis of the documents and terms and conditions.

Throughout the day, he felt a hint of jealousy whenever he saw Param bent on his phone.

'Param, will you pay attention to the wedding? You are practically living in your phone!'

'Boss, I was checking on Vanya. Remember the one I took additional course for.' He responded with a smile.

VIt narrowed his eyes at him, 'Yeah, I think you deserve a medal for that.'

Param burst out laughing. 'Boss, you are amongst the enlightened beings who think that love is the opium of the masses. Half the class took geography just to ogle at Rukma mam. What will you give them? Knighthood?'

Vit said, maybe a bit too strongly, "I still believe that love is the opium of the masses. People are misled by love to make irrational decisions.'

Param countered, 'But it makes them happy.'

'Thank God, you are my PA for your ability to keep things organized!'

Meanwhile Rukma was on phone talking to Aditi, her best friend and confidant.

'Hey Rook, how are you, have you heard anything back from your froggie?'

'I think he is more of a toad, my kiss wont be able to cure him.'

'He has gone from Prince charming to frog to toad, poor thing!'

'By the way the guy had the nerve to kiss me. I was handing him the documents in Eden and God knows what came over him, he started to kiss me! I think it is the effect of the place! I can't believe I let him kiss me!'

'He kissed you! That is great!'

'Great! I am not feeling great! Bloody hell! The guy is engaged to someone else! He does not know the meaning of the word commitment.'

'But this means he has feelings for you, he just needs to work through them.'

'And yes Dits I have not heard anything back from him. I am in my room so that Chetan and Navya cannot hear any of it.'

'You still haven't told them!'

'What to tell them, I am assuming that matter will be closed soon. Remember froggie has an army of lawyers. He had warned me right after our 'marriage' against leaking anything to the media.'

'Though he may want quick closure, his heart seems to be stuck on you.'

'Dits you are assuming the guy has a heart!'

The night came and as usual Vit could not stop thinking of Rukma. The danglers lay on the side table and he relived the time when she was in his arms.....and when he was kissing her neck and moved to the bottom of the neck. He told himself that he needed to get her out of his head. Maybe the alimony she would have asked for in the divorce papers might cure him of his feelings for her. Rationally his aim remained to end this 'marriage' and marry that other lady, whose name he kept on forgetting.

==============================================================================