Chapter 34- Freedom to Flirt!

The key events of Roka were over, the unattached had flirted blatantly and the couple Param and Vanya had danced the romantic dance. Guests clapped and cheered them on and there were even naughty jokes. Having had the share of expected fun, most people shifted their focus  to food and fulfilling the social obligations. 

Rukma,  Aditi and Jai were meeting acquaintances together and seemed to be having a good time. Vit stood in a corner and observed her. He noticed when Rahul met them and the way Rukma and Aditi were enjoying the conversation with him. He was irritated to put it mildly. Then he noticed that Rahul had walked in with a plate of sweets and soon he realized that it was meant for Rukma and Aditi. All three Rukma, Aditi and Rahul were eating out of the same plate. Did Rahul know Rukma's favorites? How ? Why is he sharing food with her?

Fifteen minutes later Rahul joined the gang at one of the balconies overlooking the gardens. While the drinks were flowing, Vit was too irritated to drink. Also, he considered himself more of an elder brother than boss of Param, he decided to stay sober to 'entertain the guests.' When Vit found a few minutes alone with Rahul, he decided to ask questions.

'You were having a good time with the University profs.' Vit decided to open the conversation.

'Yeah many of them are around today. I am one of the patrons, as you already know. Good thing is that they are well dressed up and in a fun mood today. Not the usual boring stuff at all,' Rahul winked.

'I saw you having fun with the most beautiful ones a few minutes back.'

'I agree Rook and Dits are looking stunning.'

'Yes and by the way Dits is married. Her husband was the one who danced with her.' Vit was angry with Rahul using the nicknames that he had just come to know. He wanted to further probe Rahul about how much he knew. 

'And the dances and fun! Good work today Vit with Rook, but of no use.' he congratulated Vit sarcastically.

'Thanks Rahul, but why are you saying so? Vit looked him at him quizzically.

'Well because I am interested in her.' Rahul answered with a smile.

'And what about me being interested in her?' Vit was surprised by this open declaration.

'Vit you are already engaged! I am, on the other hand, unattached and free to flirt!! Rahul replied with a glint in his eyes.

'I am engaged but not married, it is not too late to change my mind.' Vit retorted with a smile.

Rahul was surprised by Vit's response. He took a minute before he said something.

'You can definitely try, but this one is a tough cookie, you show your cards and she runs away! I have reached this level of comfort with her after so many years of hard work. You are well behind in the queue. ' Rahul talked in advisory tones.

'Interesting, that sounds a lot of effort, why so much work for her? Now Vit really wanted to know why Rahul was so interested in his 'wife'.

'Well, she is a rare species who is good to flirt with, has little interest in my money and is a good girl to bring to my parents.'

'Sounds like a perfect angel.' Internally Vit was fuming by now.

 'Only problem is that she will demand complete commitment.' Rahul shared the secret.

'And you have an issue with that?' Vit wanted the insider information, not sure when it would come handy.

'Well, I am finishing one of my last affairs. I should be able to send this one on her way in a month or two. After that I will meet Rukma's brother and you will be invited to another such function by the end of the year.' Rahul was leaned over to Vit and spoke softly.