Chapter 7--Frog and Leech

In a small office in the city, two friends Rukma and Aditi were busy talking while Rukma was bent on the laptop typing away, Aditi was fixing coffee.

'Hey Rook, I hope your need for Jay's office has nothing to do with the problem at Uni?'

'Nope Dits, that is a problem in itself, I will solve it with the Prof. This is due to the frog.'

'Oh your Prince Charming! You finally found him again?'

'Yes he is from one of the patron families. I am drawing up documents for marriage annulment. He is engaged to another woman.'

'Damn! But I still think he is the one for you. How did he look?'

The image of Rukma and Vit standing in the foyer on the evening came rushing in. 'He is still the very definition of tall, Brown and handsome. Black hair, black eyes, he was wearing a crisp dark blue suit but he did look healthier than I last saw him.'

'You were fighting for survival then, Rook. How did he talk to you, did he remember you?'

'Hmm he was indifferent initially, then politely distant. The weirdest was him was stealing my lunch. He was picking half eaten food from my plate!'

'Ohhh, whatever he might have said. He was savoring the taste of you! he likes you!!'

'Yeah in the evening when we were alone, he told me I looked beautiful.' Taking a pause Rukma added, 'And said he was engaged to someone else and therefore this marriage needs to end. I offered to draw up the papers.'

'He might not sign it.' Aditi said hopefully.

'Who knows, he asked for his family earrings. Remember the one with ancient flower pattern that I liked. Vanya was in trouble with that leech Mainak. I did not even argue to get a copy made, I just returned them.'

'What was his reaction?'

'He did look shocked, but did not follow me. Anyway, you know he has told me that I should not have any hopes in this marriage.'

'Rook you said he fought for you once.'

'So for me he is now a gentleman I knew, who was a friend for a short time and to whom I owe my life. I will not forget when he jumped in to save me but if he does not want a relationship then there is nothing for me to chase.'

'He might be an idiot who does not know who he loves and how to show it, I would still hope for happiness for you.'

'Don't take the guilt of your marriage to Jay at heart. For me the infatuation ended when I lost my parents. Jay did what was right, and I knew that you loved him all along. So he is a responsible son and husband, you are a happy wife and I am deliriously single.'

'I did not like the circumstances when this happened. You had just lost your parents in the accident.'

'Yes but it was the right decision. I had to take Chetan's responsibility and Prof also helped me keep financial stability. Jay would not have been able to handle the mess, he wanted a no-strings attached wife who would focus on him and fulfill family responsibilities with him. So in a word- I have no regrets.'

'I always had this comfort of your support and love, Rook. I don't think there is another person like you. You deserve love, someone should cherish you.'

'Thanks Dits, I love your appreciation. I meet him tomorrow to hand over the documents. Lets finish this marriage as well. Few more months to go and this business is over.'

'Do let us know if you need any support from me or Jay.'

'Sure, Dits I know I can count on you.'

As an afterthought Rukma added, 'Dits can you take care of Vanya for a few days, Mainak was on the brink of molesting her today.'

'Hey did you use the fisticuffs on the fellow again.'

'Nah this time the threat alone was enough. He knew I was serious and let Vanya be. Some fellow helped her home. I think Param was the name. '

"I remember him, he was a chirpy fellow, he was always interested in her. '

'Interesting, lets see how this plays out. I will lock the office when I leave.'

'No I am staying with you till you finish. Lets get this done.'