Chapter 10- The List

Vit was still in a daze when he walked out of uncle's office. He called up his technical team to check on the IPs. He was not sure how to proceed with the investigation who Rukma might look for. The thought made him cringe but he wanted to get to the bottom of it. He decided to try the straight route and called Param.

'Hey Param, what are you up to?'

'Boss, it is a Saturday, give me a break please.'

'Its not much, I needed some information regarding the patron system at the University. We were looking at our academic connect.'

'That's awesome. We desperately need management training for our middle management. The 3 day workshop will be based on the principles of Ramayana and Mahabharata. It will be delivered by the history and management expert Dr Vanya Mehra. She also happens to be certified leadership coach.'

'Thanks Param. I am talking serious business and not to sponsor you lovebirds!'

'Damn, boss. In a nutshell there are various corporate houses that sponsor curriculum and research at the University. Often the faculty acts as consultants for CSR and research projects. '

'Thanks I want the names. Who are these corporate houses? Specific business families?'

'I think it would be a long list. While the Chancellor heads the department. Rukma mam is the think-tank and Vanya is being groomed to take it over.'

'Rukma deals with all of them personally?'

'Why are you suddenly interested in what all Rukma mam does personally?' Param sounded curious.

Vit decided to dodge. 'I need the list, if Vanya is also involved and can I depend on you to get me the list of names?'

'Would love to, but you have to foot my business lunch with Vanya.'

Vit could almost see Param smiling. He agreed, 'Yes, but I want a quick turnaround.'

It was late afternoon when Vit reminded Param of his request and it took another frustrating hour when a huge list buzzed on Vit's phone. He mentioned that the top 25 were the most active.

Vit decided to look through those 25 names and check for eligible bachelors. He also wanted to look into their business interests to determine if Rukma's specialization in geology and sustainability matched with them.

The result was bad for his temper. Every other name had a very eligible bachelor and googling often showed them at some event with Rukma in the picture. He stared at her looking beautiful in sarees  (traditional Indian dress). He was not sure what to report to uncle. He stared at almost a dozen names that were good candidates. What he did not know was Rukma's motivation.

He stared at the number Yash had shared. Vit dialed the number and waited impatiently for Rukma to pick the call. She picked up after the seventh ring.

'Hello, who is this?' She asked in the most professional tone.

'This is me, Vit.' He sounded angry.

'How did you get my number?' Rukma was surprised at him calling her.

'It was on the documents you signed.'

Rukma was confused how to react and decided to take the formality route. 'Oh okay, tell me.'

'Who are you planning to marry?' He bit out.

'What?' Rukma was aghast and unable to understand where this came from. 'See I am outside with Dits, let me talk to you later.'

'Okay.'

Rukma turned to Dits, 'He has gone crazy.'

'Hey was that the frog calling you? Wow!'

'Dits stop being the eternal romantic of the idealistic mind.'

'He found your number and is trying to connect with you!'

'He was asking who I am marrying! He is the one who is engaged to someone else and has the guts to ask me what I am doing!'

'Don't worry, the way this is going, he will come around. He has a good heart from what I have heard from you. He treated you with respect when you were alone.' Dits was smiling.

'I want to focus on shopping, he can take a hike.' Rukma was angry.

'Girl, I know he has hurt your heart and when comes to his senses he will heal it.'

Rukma was busy shopping when Vit called again.

'It has been an hour and you have not called me back.'

'I am still in the market shopping with Dits.' Rukma spat out before stopping herself from being defensive.

'Really? Can I see who you are with? Are you out on a date?'

'Are you out of your mind?' Rukma was angry beyond words. No one, not even her parents when they were alive had questioned her like this.

'I have the whole list of people, your pictures with them are all over the internet. '

'Bye.' Rukma cut the call.

She did not pick his repeated calls and decided to block him within an hour.

Vit wanted to strangle someone at this insult but it was time to meet uncle and Yash.