Chapter 16- Status Report

Vit and Param returned to RR and joined the family for brunch. Uncle asked Param to call Yash as well and they could start the discussion right after breakfast.

Vit was still trying to process the emotions he had felt in Rukma's house. He was back in a confined space of his house. He was sure that the moment he would walk into uncle's study, the memory of the morning encounter would rule his mind. Her skin was soft under his touch and sweet when he kissed her. The reaction of his body would be instantaneous.

Param noticed that Vit was playing with his food and barely ate even half his usual meal. He observed that Vit was distracted all through the meal time and grew concerned about his boss. On the way to uncle's office he took Yash to one side and told him that Vit had gone crazy.

Yash said sarcastically, 'Tell me something new. That fellow has never followed the norm.'

Param tried to keep his voice low, 'Believe me, he is behaving very weirdly since he walked out of the house. I don't know if he ate something wrong or some paranormal entity has decided to take over.'

Yash looked at Param to assess how serious the matter was. He responded, 'Let us see what he reports and then we can discuss on this later.'

The three young men crowded uncle's office. While uncle rested on the chair, Param lounged on the sofa and Vit decided to lean against the wall on the other side. He needed the support to keep his wayward body in check. Yash, as expected, was the serious one sitting across the desk from uncle with sheaf of papers in his hand.

'So Vit, you visited the house this morning?'

'Yes, I went there this morning. I wanted to start early and took a cab there.'

Uncle was surprised, 'Why would you take a cab there? We have a whole bunch of cars and drivers. Moreover I had asked Param to accompany you.'

'I planned to start early and none of the drivers was around. It was too foggy to drive so I decided on a cab. Param knows Rukma and I did not want to give them a chance to talk over my head.'

'Great so what did you find out?'

'Well....I met Rukma....err talked to her. She confirmed that we did not have any relationship during the time in the forest.'

'So you feel that is why she is insisting on annulment?'

'Err we did not talk about that.'

Param had already jumped off the couch and asked in a barely measured tone, 'Annulment? Are you married to Rukma mam?'

'Yes he is officially married to this Rukma Shandilya and she has asked for annulment. And that is what he went to investigate this morning.' Yash summarized for Param. Param could  be heard mumbling, 'Of all the possible nightmares!'

'So what did you talk about?' Uncle decided to bring back the focus.

Vit did not have an answer for the first time in his adult life. He felt like a teenager fooling around with his crush and caught by parents red handed.

'Err we got sidetracked. We talked this and that' He had no other way to talk about what had happened. He did not want to remember the feel of Rukma in his arms, the taste of her skin as he had planted the kisses or how natural it felt when he had picked her up . He had to lean take support from the pillar to keep himself steady. Damn he wanted to run away from here!

'Were the 100 crore discussed or is she still insisting on annulment?' Yash asked pointedly.

Reminded of Rukma's rage and slap on his cheek, Vit was touching his face but managed to say, 'Oh she became enraged when I said that. I had to leave before she turned violent.'