Chapter 12- Home visit!

The morning at Shandilya Nivas (Shandilya mansion) was lazier than usual. Everyone had slept late on the Saturday night and were slowly waking up. Chetan was late for his walk, Navya was late for her yoga session and baby was late for his morning tantrums. Housekeeper Monoroma, a Bengali whom everyone fondly called Momo Ma because of her expertise in cooking spicy dumplings, was busy catching up on the latest web series in the kitchen as no one had asked for any breakfast. Rukma was the only one who woke up on time. She was a bit restless after the weird conversation last evening and sleep had been fitful for her.

Despite Dits' eternal optimism, she was thoroughly confused by Vit's behavior.  He seemed to blow hot and cold. He asked for danglers and end of marriage but then went ahead and kissed her passionately! And that too when he had gone ahead and become engaged to someone else! Did he not have any morals. It was becoming tough for her to differentiate Vit from the usual business tycoons she knew. Strong sense of entitlement, no morality in relationships and complete focus on money and business. She could not forget the soft and sweet kisses he had planted on her neck.

Rukma decided to focus on gardening in the backyard. She was wearing her usual night suit - faded top and old comfy pajamas. It was a shade beyond 7 am when she has started the weeding and replanting. The sun was not up and about and she was thinking of a relaxing bath after half an hour more of work.

The doorbell rang about 7 30 am and Rukma could hear the faint tone. Housekeeper had opened the door and Rukma could not understand who it was. She could hear Chetan coming down to the hall. Feeling lazy and wanting her brother to take care of the situation, Rukma decided to get back to the plants she was replanting.

Manorama, the housekeeper, came to edge of the garden, 'Di (elder sister), someone has come to meet you.'

Though Rukma was surprised someone coming to meet her this early, she kept away the gardening tools, shrugged off most of the mud and washed her hands and went inside the house.  It was bit cold inside so she pulled on a wrap and went to the drawing room. She met Chetan in the hallway.

'Chetan, someone has come to meet me?' Rukma asked.

'Yes he is in my study, you can meet him there.' Chetan seemed lost in thought.

'Who is it?' Rukma asked surprised trying to think who would have sought her out this early in the morning. None of her trainees would dare to do so and Chetan seems a bit lost.

'I think you should meet him. He said it was something between you two, he said he met you at the university, so maybe related to university. He was confused himself about what he wanted.'

'Weird.' Thinking it better not be Mainak. She will kill him this time. This was her family and she held it sacred.

Rukma had reached the end of the corridor and opened the study door. There, much to her surprise, was Vit standing and trying to look busy browsing the books. He looked dapper in jeans and T shirt. He wore a jacket on top but it was unzipped. His black hair was perfectly combed as usual and for the first time she saw him wearing sneakers. There was nothing fresh out of the bed about him, even at 8 am. Rukma did not realize she had been staring at him for more than a minute.

'We can stare at each other, we have the whole morning. It is a Sunday' Vit said with a smirk breaking her reverie.

'You! What are you doing here?' Rukma somehow stopped herself from screaming.

Vit slowly moved across the room and was now standing close to her between the couch and bookshelves. The study as expected had her later father's huge desk and shelves and shelves of legal books. Chetan had added the couch and the all the tech on the side of the desk.

'I have come to meet you. You have blocked my number. There was no other way to talk to you.' Vit answered in almost an angry tone.

'You were talking nonsense and pestering me.' Rukma answered coolly.

'Who were you out with?' Vit narrowed his eyes.

'A friend.' and then added 'none of your business by the way.'

She did not like his question. Even her father or Chetan had ever questioned her. They had trusted her implicitly. Even with this sudden appearance of Vit, Chetan did not question her and let her handle it herself. On one hand Vit  was asking to end the marriage and on another asking questions as if......

Vit gave her a look over, she had a clumsy out of the bed look. The pajamas looked comfy and the top was faded. He was sure he could spot holes if the wrap she had thrown over carelessly moved out of the way. No, no let us pull back from that direction of thought. She was a lover of comfort in personal life, as he always guessed.

'It is my business. I want to know who are you planning to marry.' Vit was trying to control his temper.

There was a knock on the door and Monoroma (housekeeper) entered with a glass of water and juice. Rukma offered these to Vit and took a sip of water and kept the glass back on the table.

'Thanks Momo Ma.' Rukma thanked her. Vit could not stop  himself from smiling, she had a habit of adding nicknames to everyone around her. He knew she called him Frog.