Chapter 23- Vit knows birds and bees!!

Rukma had a better morning than she expected. Last night she had looked through the emoji's to send the slap to Vit that she had failed to deliver in person. She was angry with Vit for kissing her and upset with herself for letting him do so. Worst was she let him get away with it! Being alone with that man for more than few minutes a recipe for disaster!

She had messaged Dits in the morning.

'Frog is here.'

'I did point him in your direction, but this was quick!'

'Et tu Dits!'

Now she had some idea how Vit came to know of the conference, she will fix Dits later. She got dressed and went down for breakfast. The student delegation had reached last night and the morning was spent helping them understand their role. Her mind did run off to Vit and she did note his absence but decided to occupy her mind elsewhere. The conference kept her busy through the evening and during dinner she looked around to check for Vit but he was nowhere in sight.

Suddenly she saw salad from her plate was stolen and when she looked up Vit was chatting someone and casually picking up food from her plate. Rukma was furious but decided not to create a scene. She quietly moved to an empty chair across and continued her meal. Once she was done she tried to leave as quietly as possible. But she ran into some patrons and had to chat them up about the conference and the university's role. She knew exactly when Vit joined the group and stood casually to her left.

'Hey Vit nice to see you. What a pleasant surprise!' Rahul, one of the patrons greeted him.

'Yeah, nice to see you all and the buzz here.'

'Great to hear that! So will you be part of the conference tomorrow?'

'I have to do site visits tomorrow, so might not be able to be there.'

'Hey Rukma mam is presenting her paper tomorrow, see if you can be there for that.'

'Ohh its okay, if he has work then he may skip.' Rukma wanted to stay clear of him.

'Sure, I can connect with you personally later and understand your proposition.' Vit said with a smile, his innuendo was clear to Rukma.

Rukma was angry beyond words, 'Sure I will share the official version with you after the conference. I would not like to take time away from your precious business.'

'Yes business is precious to Vit, I can vouch for that. I have been trying to get his attention for past few months but this fellow has been eluding me.' Rahul, one of the key patrons decided to pull his leg.

'Then I think I should allow you guys the precious time. See you tomorrow.' Rukma said with a smile, happy at her lucky escape.

Vit decided not to pursue Rukma tonight. He was not sure why her angry emoji last night had bothered him so much. He wanted to see her smile at him the way she had smiled at Jakes. He gave her a smile and let her go, deciding to spend time with some of his business friends.

It was refreshing for Vit to talk business and the things he was used to rather than being focused on the complications with Rukma. Most of the people around were from his circle, born in privilege and working hard to maintain it. He discussed business issues, current affairs and listened to their banter about their marital status and recent exploits in the love arena.

Misreading his disinterest, the gang decided on leg pulling, 'So Vit what is Maira's favorite color?'

VIt pretended to think and finally when he could not place her, said, 'Maira who?'

'So Vit have you found time from business matters to even look at any women?Sorry I remember you are engaged to someone?'

'Yes I am engaged.' Vit was thinking of his complicated marital status and was reminded of his 'wife' who had stepped away from him not more than 30 minutes ago.

'And what is her name?'

"Maira...'

'Maira....full name? Rahul was asking with a smile on his face.

Vit was various shades of red, and even before he could string two words together to excuse himself, there was round of laughter.He knew he was done for, tonight at least.

'Vit, my dear there is something called enjoying life. It consists of being with someone special where you don not talk business.'

'More importantly, did uncle discuss birds and bees with you yet?' Rahul said with a straight face and Vit knew ragging when he encountered one. He decided to play the game.

'Sure, he taught me about the birds that fly and bees that sting...is there another kind I should be aware of?' He said with a straight face leading to a round of laughter.

'Yeah the kind that helps to make babies.' Someone chimed in.

'Hey Vit I am sure uncle would have had the 'babies' talk with you. You know that it is your duty to continue the family line.'  The last sentence was impersonated the elder tone and everyone including Vit was laughing uncontrollably.

'Hey bro what we mean is you need to get cracking on the biological clock. And if this fiancee of yours does not excite you, find someone on the side.'

'Yeah someone who excites you, someone who makes you feel 19 again.'

'The way you were trying to flirt with the sustainability lady.'

Vit was shocked that someone noticed. He decided to be defensive,'What do you mean?'

'The way you could not take your eyes off her yesterday and today. We can see the interest.' Mihir was smiling. He added conspiratorially, 'Hope you feel the interest.'

Before he could respond Rahul commented, 'No use if you were trying. Both of you are too high strung.'

The leg pulling continued for quite sometime so by the time Vit reached his room he was absolutely tired. Though he felt refreshed by all the banter he realised there were personal and relationship issues he could no longer ignore, his biological clock was ticking. And he realised so was Rukma's, she was barely a few months younger. They needed to hurry up, if they wanted to make babies........

Vit did not notice that the discussion about his fiancee was completely  lost on him and all he could think of was his 'lost' wife. He remembered that Rukma had kissed him on their 'honeymoon.' and also that she had as for a wedding night. He was not sure but he definitely wanted to find that out. He messaged 'good night' to Rukma and crashed into the bed.

In the morning he saw her reply of a <Smiling emoji> . He could read the sarcasm.