Chapter 6--Musical (yesterday) night

Vit rushed to the pre- wedding (sangeet or musical night) event of his first cousin as was planned. Most of the joint and extended family was there and the ritual festivities were progressing as per schedule. Vit met so many people he had not seen in years.

Though he was busy, there was some irritation at the back of his mind. He had been unable to change his clothes and the suit jacket still carried a hint of Rukma. He had handed over the danglers to uncle. She had promised documents at 10 am tomorrow so everything seemed settled. 

He suddenly realised that he had not seen Param since evening. Vit dialed Param's number to check where his PA was.

'Hey Param where are you?'

'Yes boss, am right behind you.'

'Where?'

'I mean I have just reached the Hotel, let me fix my looks and then join the party.'

'Okay.'

Vit was used to Param's flamboyance and love for his looks. So he decided to keep himself busy till the fellow arrived.

Param was standing next to Vit about ten minutes later.

"Hey boss! Am at your service.'

'What took you so long?'

'I was busy helping Vanya. It was a long day. Finally Vanya went home and I dropped mam.'

'Mam?'

'Yeah Rukma mam, the professor who was managing all of you. She is amazing, I don't know what would have happened without her. I think she was seeing you off when I called her in emergency.'

'What happened, if you can tell me.' Vit suddenly felt his mouth was dry and he wanted to know everything that had happened. Seeing his usually chirpy PA serious Vit knew something bad must have happened and is this why Rukma literally ran away on receiving that phone call?

'Well, I cannot share details but Mainak had Vanya in a bad situation and would have exploited her if mam had not reached and unlocked the passage and blackmailed him with something I dont even know. It was gross.'

Vit felt dizzy, he wanted to know what happened to Rukma, what price did she pay to rescue Vanya and if she was safe. He was cursing himself why did he not drop her home.

'So where are they now? Vanya and Rukma?'

'I dropped Vanya home and mam said she had some work so she took a cab.'

Someone pulled Vit into the  dancing before he could say anything further. By the time he was done with the festivities and formalities, it was quite late in the night. Param was lost in his phone and Vit tapped on his shoulder and teased him, 'Which world are you in PA?'

'Oh, I was just saying goodnight to Vanya. Wanted to make sure she felt okay.'

'Hey, you are not dating her ....she is not a baby.....why so much concern?'

Param responded, ' Sir, I have known her since our graduation days. I used to visit the University to meet her.'

'Ohh she is a good friend!'

'A non-romantic like you would not understand! she was the reason I did part time course at their University.'

'You did that part time course to pursue a girl!'

'Oh God, boss are you sure someone predicted that you will have a love match? normal people like to love and pursue people they love. It is like one of your business deals. Think like that.'

Vit felt chastised, this was a new dimension that he had not thought of.

Param continued, 'Vanya was considered a catch even back then, beautiful, intelligent, mannered with a mind of her own. Groomed by Rukma mam herself, what more can you ask for?'

'But Rukma herself is not married or supposed to marry anyone?'

Param eyed Vit closely, 'No she has sworn off men since a long time. Even today while she hated Mainak and called him a leech, there was another 'frog' she was angry with.'

Immediately Vit cleared his throat, he knew who was the 'frog'.

Param narrowed his eyes, 'why are you so curious, she is an even bigger catch in case you want to know. But don't forget that you are already engaged to someone else. '

Vit wanted to run away from his PA for the first time in their association. He looked around for an escape route and as expected in an event like this he was pulled into rituals and meet and greets.

By the time Vit hit his bed in the night, his thoughts kept on going back to Rukma. He had changed but still smelt faintly of Rukma. Somehow the food had lost its taste, he could not eat much despite one of the best buffet being served for a Rajeva wedding. He would mentally compare it to the lunch and the bits he had stolen from Rukma's plate. Her shock had been worth the mischief but he was not sure of the effect on his taste buds and maybe his brain! He became pensive when he realized why she had thrust the danglers in his hands and run away in the evening. Damn it he was already feeling guilty....this has to stop!

Vit repeated to himself what he had told Rukma few months back. It was a few days into their forced-at-gunpoint marriage and she had started to have hopes of a proper marriage. Vit had told her, 'Nobody traps a Rajeva into a marriage. You are not of my stature or liking. So this marriage will not have any social, financial or physical relevance. It is a paper-legal marriage and that is where it will end. I have to marry someone who brings or at least maintains my family honor.'