chapter 2

Nora's POV *

I woke up with the biggest hangover. My alarm was going off from inside my purse on the counter.

"Fuck!" I yelled and got up and stumbled to the kitchen counter. I took my phone out and turned off the alarm and I saw all the texts from Carter. I quickly looked over them and most of them were  sorrys and asking for forgiveness. Fuck him and fuck no. He cheated and slept with my sister and no way in hell was I gonna let him back into my life. There was a text from an unknown number and when I opened it all it said was take it. What the fuck does that even mean? What am I suppose to take? A case? What ever maybe it was just a wrong number kind of thing. I set my phone down on the counter and walked to my bedroom and went to the closet and grabbed something simple to wear and put it on. I headed to the bathroom and the first thing I saw was Carter's toothbrush and his hair products. I grabbed the trashcan that was by the toilet and threw all of his stuff in it. I brushed my hair and teeth and then headed back to the kitchen. I checked my phone to see that if I left now I wouldnt be late so I grabbed my bag and my phone and walked out of the apartment and locked the door. I headed down to the lobby and told the woman working at the front desk to change the locks for me and to not allow anyone other than me into my apartment no matter what. No way in hell was I going to let him go back into my apartment and if he wanted his stuff he could find in outside on the streets. I was taking my daily walk to the subway station when a man in all black ran into me making me drop my phone out of my hand. The man didnt stop he just kept walking. I bent down and picked up my phone to see a little white envelop on the ground next to my phone. I looked up and was going to call for the man to come back but he was already out of sight. I grabbed it and my phone and stood up and put them both in my purse and continued my walk.

When I got to work i headed straight to my office. When I opened the door there was a big yellow envelope on my desk. I took my seat and opened it to see it was a new case and I read what it was about.

"Jeremy!" I yelled and Jeremy came running in. "What is this?" I said holding up the envelope.

"Ummm. I'm guessing a case?"

"Yes. Now why is it on my desk? This is not the cases I normally take."

"I didnt put it on your desk. It must have been someone else. Why what is it?"

"The case is  the city against Mr. Zade  for money laundering."

"Wait! Lorenzo Zade?"

"Yeah?"

"The Lorenzo Zade!  Your so lucky to get that as a case!"

"Yeah if only I was defending the city but I'm not."

"Oh fuck! Your defending him!"

"Yeah. Well no. I'm not taking the case. I will not defend a criminal like that. Everyone knows hes not a good guy."

"I bet your scared that you wont win."

"I'm not scared I wont win, I know I could if I wanted to. I'm not going to taint myself and my career with a guy like that."

"Mmm okay sure."

"When was the last time I lost a case?"

"Umm-"

"I havent. Not a single one since I moved here."

"Fine! You win. But you should take the case."

"Why?"

"First of all the money. Hes hella rich, and have you seen that man? Hes also fine as hell."

"I dont need the money and I could care less about what he looks like. I'm not defending a man whose definitely done the crime."

'Then why dont you take the case and then tank it. You'll still make a good amount of money."

"Like I said I dont need the money and if I do that then my ratings to down."

"Fine. Do you want me to give the case back to the boss?"

"Yes, thank you. And can you get me a coffee."I said and then held out the envelope to him.

"Your welcome and yeah. Same as always?" He said while taking the envelope.

"Yup."

"So you gonna tell me why you look like you've been hit by a truck?"

"What do you mean?"

"Really? Do you really need me to explain it."

"No." I sighed and started again, "I found Carter in bed with another woman last night."

"Holy shit! Did you know the woman?"

"Yeah. He slept with my sister."

"Your sister!" He yelled.

"Yes my sister, now keep it down."

"Damn. I always hated that bitch. Both of them."

"You didnt even know my sister."

"Yeah I know but from what you told me I hate her."

"Okay well can you hate her and go get my coffee, please? "

"Yup right away." He said and then left with the envelope.

The rest of my day at work went as normal. It was when I got to my apartment lobby that things went down hill. As soon as i got inside the lobby, Ashley, was sitting in a chair by the front desk, looking down at her phone.

"Miss. Finley, heres your new key." The lady at the front desk said as soon as she saw me. The front desk lady held out a pair of keys. Ashley looked up at me and gave me a evil smile.

"Thank you." I said and took the keys and then got onto the elevator and pressed the button for my floor. Ashely got up and walked to the elevator and I tried to get the doors to close faster but they didnt and she got on and stood next to me.

"Hello, sister."

"What do you want Ashley? You going to sleep with my boyfriend again? Because if so hes not here and you can have him. You always wanted my sloppy second."

"I'm sorry your boyfriend wanted some tight pussy rather than run down pussy."

"Ashley we both know yours more ran down then the homeless center. You slept with enough guys to repopulate this whole damn world."

"At least I'm not a workaholic prune."

"Yeah your right, your not, but that's only because you cant get a job because no one wants you. And your the world's biggest slut. How was that married man you said was going to leave his wife and kids for you?"

"Shut the hell up, Nora!"

"Will do, after you tell me why your here."

"I'm here to tell you to take the case." I turned to look at her.

"How did you know about the case?"

"I have connections. Take the case, Nora."

"No and go fuck yourself. You only come to me when you need me and I'm not helping you with anything." The elevator dinged and came to a stop and the doors opened and I got off.

"Take the case or you'll regret it!" Ashley yelled as the doors closed.

Yeah no. I dont care and I'm not gonna let her threaten me. I have no reason to be scared of her.