chapter 14

Nora's pov *

"Miss. Hardin, are you sure that your feelings for Mr. Zade isnt clouding your judgment? Judge Harper, theres news going around that proves that Miss. Hardin is sleeping with her client, which makes her a conflict of interest."

"Not only do you have no proof of me sleeping with Mr. Zade, this case has nothing to do with me. I can prove that Mr. Zade is innocent with proof." I said while trying to keep it together.

"Can I see the proof you say to have, Miss. Hardin?"

"I dont yet have it with me today but if we can have an extension with a private meeting without the jury and audience I will be more than happy to show you." I looked over to see the confused face that Enzo had. He had no idea what's going on.

"That would be dragging out the case! If she has such proof then she should just show everyone!" Andrew said in a loud voice. He was very obviously getting mad.

"I'm going to have to agree with Mr. Scott. Miss. Hardin I deny your request of a private meeting."

Fuck! I look behind me to see Maria, she looked worried as shit. Her leg was bouncing and she was biting on her lips. Her eyes met mine and she shook her head no as if she knew what I was about to do. I looked away from her to look at the judge.

"Mr. Zade couldnt have possibly been laundering money during the time he was say to be because during this time his mother was in the hospital. She was dying. And on the day he was arrested his mother died. He spend all the time in between seeing his mother with his assistant, Maria Asher. He couldnt have possibly done what the state is saying he did." There was another gasp in the crowd but I kept my eyes forward. I didnt want to see the faces of anyone other than the judge.

"Do you have proof of this, Miss. Hardin? " the Judge asked.

"I have the word of his assistant and the proof of the cameras in the hospital." The judge looked over to one of the cops and motioned for him to come closer to her. She whispered something to him and he nodded and then walked back to where he was standing.

"Mr. Scott, is there anything you would like to add?" The judge asked.

"No your honor." He said sounding defeated. I'm just going to have to hope that Maria was telling the truth.

"Mr. Zade, do you have anything you would like to say?" The judge asked while looking at him.

"No your honor, I do not. I feel as if every as already been said." He looked at me a angry face. I knew he would be mad but he told me to keep him out of jail and that's what I'm doing.

"I here by state that the case against Mr. Zade and the state is under further investigation. You are dismissed." She picked up the gavel and slammed it. Everyone stood up as she exited and then people began to rush out of the court room. Me and Andrew locked eyes as he gathered his stuff. He looked pissed. It was kinda funny how red his face could be. I gathered my stuff and started to head out when someone grabbed my arm and pushed me against the wall by the doors. As soon as my eyes caught up with me I saw Enzo's angry face. He grabbed me by the throat and begand to put pressure on it.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" He whispered with venom in his voice. His grip was slowly becoming harder and mu air way was closing. I never seen him like this. It scared me. I tried to push him away but it was no use. "Answer me!" He yelled.

"I'm doing what you told me to do." I said, barely getting the words out. I could feel my face getting red and if he didnt let go he would kill me. I started to panic as I saw no emotion other than anger in his face.

"That's my fucking mother that your putting out there!" He yelled. At this point I knew he didnt care about anything. I could feel myself losing oxygen and slowly losing consciousness. "My fucking mother who you used her death! How the fuck did you even know!" He squeezed my throat harder.

"E-Enzo stop." I said gasping for air. My eyes began to flutter shut. He must have realized what he was doing because he let go and I fell to the ground.

"Next time dont bring my family into this." He said in a cold voice while looking down at me. His face no longer showed anger, it was blank. Then without another word he walked out of the court room.

I was left in the courtroom with no one as I gasped for air trying to catch up on the air I missed out on. My fingers traced where his hands where.  At that moment I no longer thought that Enzo was just a man. No hes a monster. Hes cruel and ruthless and doesnt care about anything. I was beginning to think he cared about me but I was stupid to think that. I knew that if I walked out of the courtroom the same way most did there would be reporters and I didnt want to face them. Especially with red marks that I'm sure was on my neck and would most likely bruise. I picked up my stuff and stood up. I had to stand their for a moment because the room was spinning but after that faded I walked out of the emergency exit in the front of the room. I took the long way to the train. As soon as I got on I couldnt hold back anymore. I cried the whole way back home. No one was on the train at this time so I didnt have to worry about people seeing me. As soon as I got home and my doors were locked I grabbed a bottle of whiskey and a glass to the couch. I set them down and went to up changem as I looked in the mirror in my room by my bed I saw the light purple on my throat. Just like I had thought, it was bruising. I had to stop and look at it for a moment before going back to the living room and pouring me a glass of whiskey and sitting down and turning on Netflix.

I was going to try to forget this whole day.