chapter 15

Nora's pov*

I woke up with a pounding headache. I drank the whole bottle of whiskey last night and feel asleep on the couch. At this point I sleep more on the couch than i do anywhere else. I checked my phone to see a few missed calls from Jeremy which I'm guessing is because I'm not at work and its 1 pm. I could very much lose my job with how many times I called off or just skipped work but maybe that would be for the best. I grabbed my laptop from the counter and pulled up apartments in rome. I'm not staying here after the case is over. I'm done here and I can build my life in a new country. I will have to go back to law school and brush up on my Italian but other than that it wont be as hard. I sat on my couch and scrolled through the apartments until I found one I liked. This apartment was one bedroom and one bath, it isnt as big as the one I have now but it will due until I can get on my feet. I have enough money to last me for a year at least in Rome as long as I'm careful. I contacted the number of the realtor under the post and they answered right away. I know that of I didnt do this now I would never leave so I put in my offer. I got accepted right away. I felt good about leaving. I would leave my old life here and find a new one. The realtor requested a zoom meeting, which I did right away, and we talked through all the details. Luckily he spoke English. The realtor gave me a date when I can move in and I had to send them my first month payment and a deposit which I did easily. The whole meeting lasted a few hours and it was video tapped the whole way. I had to pick up a contract from my post office and sign it and return but I wasnt gonna do that just yet. Everything was just about finalized beside the contract which I would do later and send it to him. It will take a few days and then the apartment will be mine. He told me he will keep an eye on it for me until I move. I trusted him. And if anything even started to go wrong I knew I could get myself out of it. I didnt have to pay for the time I wasnt in Rome but he said that as soon as my plane lands the payment start. We ended the call and I felt good.

It was almost four when I decided I would get up from the couch and get ready. I took a shower and got dressed to go out to the club. I had to cover up the bruises on my neck which was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was going to get drunk and put in my 2 weeks today. After getting ready I headed to the office. Jeremy was the first person to see me and he instantly walked to me.

"Hey I was calling you. Why didnt you answer me?"

"Sorry I was busy today. Wheres Amy?"

"Why? I thought you hated her?"

"I do but shes the boss and I need to talk to her. "

"Shes in the bathroom but I'm sure she will be out in a few minutes."

"Okay." I walked past him to her office. I sat down in the chair in front of hers and waited until she came back.

"Nora, what are you doing here?" She asked as she shut her door and sat down. I smiled at her, I knew that with me leaving it will fuck her over and I loved that. "You didnt call off today and your very late."

"I know. I had business to take care of."

"What can I do to help you, Nora?" She said with an attitude. I fucking hate her.

"I will like to put in my two weeks notice. I'm quitting. I dont feel as if this is a good fit for me anymore."

"What?! No!" She looked worried and that only made my smile bigger.

"Yes. I dont like this work environment. I feel as if my experience will be better somewhere else."

"Do you want a bigger pay? Will that fix this? I cant lose you and you know that."

"I'm sorry Amy but that wont cut it. After my case is done then I am." I stood up and walked to the door and walked out. I walked right past Jeremy as he stood speechless, I knew he was listening in. He always does. I walked straight out the door and walked down the busy streets. I headed to a bar and ordered a drink and waited until people looked attractive to me. Once I found a man who was cute enough to fuck I  lured him in which was a lot easier to do while tipsy. He was tall with brown hair and blue eyes.