chapter 16

Nora's pov*

When I woke back up I was in a hospital room. Maria had her head down and she seemed to be sleeping. I looked around the room but I didn't see Carter. I had an iv and I was definitely on some kind of pain meds because I felt like I was floating. I wasnt drunk anymore which kinda sucked. Maria must have heard me moving because she looked up at me. She gave me a soft smile.

"Morning, they gave you some pain meds and they put stitches in. They said you busted them when you hit your head. They are giving you an antibiotics just in case of a infection but other than that they say you'll be okay and you can go back to work once your ready. They are keeping you over night but you already slept through the night so you just have to wait for the discharge papers."

"Wheres Carter?"

"He said something about work and him having to get home."

"Oh. How come you stayed? You have work to plus you said you have a wife and a kid."

"Actually I dont have a job anymore and I didnt want you to wake up alone so I texted my wife and shes okay with me being here."

"What do you mean you dont have a job?"

"I quit my job. I knew he could be evil to men, I've seen it a million of times but not once did I think he would hurt a woman. And now hes crossed a line and I wont stand for it."

"But what about your family?"

"We will be good for a few years and in that time I'll find another job."

"In the bathroom, when you said I was judging my family if I judged you, what did you mean by that?"

"Did he ever tell you why he picked you?"

"No not really. I always thought it was because of the image I have created for myself."

"Well it was that and because of your father. Enzo knew your mother and father. Before they died Enzo's people would go to them for help. Your father for legal troubles and your mother for medical reasons. Your father would help them get out of anything for a sum of money and your mother would do surgery on them for money. Enzo's people werent the only people who went to them though, and Enzo thought that your parents made the wrong people mad and they killed them."

"But my parents were killed in a house fire caused by a electrical problem. My father ran into the fire to save my mother and uncle."

"Doesnt it seem odd that your mother and father were the only ones not to make it?"

"No, they said their bodies were trapped inside."

"Who built that house?"

"My uncle."

"What did your uncle do for a living?"

"He was a electrician and builder."

"How many years did he do this for?"

"He did it all throughout high school and he had at least 20 years of experi-" the realization set it and I couldnt finish my sentence. Tears burned my eyes and i had to hold back from crying in front of her.

"Enzo went to you because your father was a great lawyer and he thought you could help him just like your father did."

"Okay but how did my sister get into this?"

"Ashley is one hell of a woman and I dont mean that in a good way. Originally Enzo wanted nothing to do with her. But then he was arrested, he knew he could get to you by getting to Ashley. He flirted with her for a bit until she showed him how fucking crazy she is but he still needed her. So he kidnapped her, turns out that's some kind of kink of hers, he was going to hold her hostage but she told him she would go to you willingly and she did."

"Yeah she ended up sleeping with my boyfriend."

"Yeah that wasnt apart of the plan."

"Where is she now?"

"He has her."

"Why?"

"To control you. And because she wont leave. She want him to love her, little does she know he doesnt love anyone. He flirts, fucks, then leaves."

"I'm sorry for judging you."

"You know when I first met you I thought you were a bitch."

"What changed your mind?"

"Oh I still think your a bitch but I've grown to like that about you. I think my wife will really like you, maybe one day you'll get to meet her before you leave."

"How did you know I was leaving?"

"That night they kidnapped you, they also put a device in your computer and phone that shows everything you do and go on and sends it to my computer."

"Did you tell Enzo? "

"No. When I take you home I'll take it out for you. I dont think its actually needed and plus it's a fuck you to Enzo."

"Thank you, Maria." She smiled at me and nodded.

The doctor walked in a few minutes later with the discharge papers and I signed them and we left.