Chapter 48

He was on the concrete bench that was right in front of her tombstone, his head was in his hands and he was openly sobbing. "I'm sorry Emevol, I'm so sorry. I failed you. I just did what your mother said, she is a very powerful witch and I thought she knew better. I thought she was right and that sending you away was the only way to save you and the kingdom. But I thought you'd be safe, if I had known that I was going to lose you anyway. I would have fought to keep you. To hell with the kingdom if it meant I would lose you forever. I hope one day you can forgive me."

This poor broken man, Emevol dropped her invisibility and walked towards him. His eyes were full of tears and she knew he was having a hard time focusing on who she was. The fastest way to get him to see that it was her, would be to show him her hair. Besides her mother, she has never seen another person with her color red. She pulled the hood down and he gasped. "How?"

Em sat down next to him and grabbed his hands gently, "I have a lot to tell you, but I'm not sure how you'll take it."

He pulled his right hand out of her hold and reached forward to touch her cheek. "You are here, you are real? I'm not imagining this?"

Her hand reached up to lay on top of his, "I'm here. But are you willing to listen?" He nodded his head yes, "I promise everything I'm about to tell you is the truth. I need you to trust me."

"I do, you are my daughter."

She blew out a breath, "the Queen has been lying to you. The prophecies have been messed with, and warped to their benefit. She tried to kill me, she stabbed me and threw me off a bridge. She.. She.." Emevol was sobbing and it was getting hard to speak.

"What is it? What did she do to you?"

"She killed my baby, when she tried to kill me, she didn't succeed. But she did succeed to kill my unborn child." Her hand was on her belly.

He placed his on top of it, "oh honey, I'm so so sorry. But why would she do that?"

She sucked in a breath, she needed to calm down or her soulmates would show up regardless of what she said about staying away. "She said that I had to die, but she knew I was pregnant. She knew before I did. So she knew me dying would kill the baby. But that's not all, she's not your soulmate."

His face turned down into a sad frown, "honey I know you are mad at her, and you have every reason to be. But she has the mark, she's my soulmate regardless of what she's done."

Emevol was shaking her head no, he didn't understand. "It's a lie, she used magic. She's not your soulmate."

He sighed, "she is though."

"Do you get comforted by her touch, do you feel a pull to be with her? Do you get sick if you are apart for too long, or can you hear each other's voices inside your head?" His eyes were wide, "I can tell by the look on your face that you don't. Those are all things that soulmates can do."

"But the mark, I don't.."

"She's telling the truth."

Both of their heads snapped to the voice they just heard, it was the redhead, the one from the funeral. "Who are you?"

"I'm Mara, your aunt."

His eyes went wide, "she's your mother's twin."

"Zara is my older sister. I'm sorry for everything she's done to you. You don't deserve to be brought into our family drama." She looked at both of them, she was clutching an old photo. "Can I tell you two my story? Maybe then you'll be able to understand why this has happened a little better."

When they both nodded she sat down in the grass and looked at them. "In my family twins are a big deal, they are powerful, extremely powerful. To the point of being deadly and a danger to others if they are not trained right. When we were 5 we started our training. Zara picked it up way easier than I did. I was a failure, and I have the scars from all the beatings to prove it. Zara turned malicious, she was no longer my best friend. She wanted to see me suffer."

"I had no one, no one I could talk to. And then I found Piper, she was amazing. She knew I was a witch and she didn't care if I was good at it or bad. She was nice to me, the only light in my life. I loved her, but I saw the mark on her wrist and I knew she wasn't meant for me. She was the King's soulmate, so I decided that I'd stay her best friend. At least that way I could still be with her, at least in a way that worked for her."

"When we were 15 it was abundantly clear that I was hopeless and I'd never be the witch that they wanted me to be, but Zara was getting better and better. Still not as strong as she should be, considering she was a twin. But compared to me, she was freaking Merlin. Then my family decided to do something drastic."

She frowned, "I'm sad to say that it's what gave them the idea. It's my fault that I lost my best friend and the love of my life. If I had been a better witch, none of this would have happened."

"What are you talking about?" She was rambling a bit, lost in her own memories.

"They merged my magic with hers to make her stronger. They stripped me of everything magical and merged it into her. When it worked and quite well I might add that's when they got the idea to merge Piper and Zara. If Zara merged Piper into her body then she'd bare the soulmate mark and my family would now have an insider in the castle."