15

trigger warning: abuse, mentions of sexual harassment, mentions of fatphobia

Natalia was out so Tonya was helping her get ready. They had decided on a tight, black turtleneck underneath a Bowie shirt. It was all Tonya's clothes otherwise she'd be stuck in her uniform or a stiff dress. She wore her own skirt though with thick tights to combat the snowy weather. 

"It's totally a date," she teased as they put on a light layer of makeup. 

"I'm engaged to another man," she laughed as she pulled her hair up in a clip. She put an oversized coat to hide her Muggle clothing. 

"But you fancy James Potter," Tonya said bluntly. 

She floundered for a second, taken back by the insinuation. Lacerta had realized the fact shortly after getting engaged but hearing it out loud was a bit too much for her taste. They were taught to not feel anything growing up besides anger. The feelings she had for James were stronger than anything she'd felt before - besides the love she had for her brothers.

"You aren't denying it!"

"Oh, Merlin's balls," she groaned into her hands as she threw herself onto the bed. "I can't believe that I fancy James fucking Potter of all people. He's arrogant--"

"I think he's matured lately."

"He hates Slytherins, --"

"I think he made an exception for you."

"His ego would be too big if he found out that someone as amazing as me liked him, --"

"That would make anyone feel better."

"What the fuck is wrong with me?"

"Nothing," Tonya rubbed her back. "He's a good guy, Lacey. He'd treat you like a queen. . . unlike someone else I know."

"LACERTA!" Selwyn called up the stairs. 

"I'm engaged," she repeated with a distant expression that she shook off. "I have to go."

He greeted her with a kiss before they made the journey down to the pitch. "You're wearing a lot of clothes," he commented. "I figured my cheerleader would at least look like she wants to be there."

"It's snowing," she pointed out. Snow had already gotten into her boots and was making her shiver. January was fading quickly into February with the snow showing no sign of stopping.

He rolled his eyes, "You could at least pretend that you like me."

"I could," she nodded, "but that would take more acting skills than I possess."

He stopped them as they reached the stands, slapping her across the face with enough force to send her to the ground. He pulled her up by her arm to face him again before she could even feel the pain, "The only reason I choose to marry you was because you're the most sought out girl in this castle. If you aren't a good enough wife or shag, then you better believe that I'll dump your body in the Black Lake."

"You're an asshole," she spat at him. It hardly even stung; she had experienced far worse than a slap to the face. 

He gripped her cheeks to pucker her lips as he kissed her. "I love you, darling," he mocked the words, knowing that he didn't mean them. "Well, aren't you going to say it back?"

She looked at the ground with a frown. He dug his nails into her skin enough to draw blood. She didn't react but it was enough for her to say, "I love you. They're starting practice without you."

"I'll see you afterwards," he kissed her again before he marched off to join the team. They all clapped him on the back as he joined, joking about keeping his bitch in line.