42

"Do you know why I brought you all in today?" McGonagall questioned the four boys that leisurely sat in her office. The four were sipping at their tea, they had their own special cups, and eating their favorite biscuits, their professor kept in stock just for them. All morning, students had been disappearing as soon as their fingers brushed the handle of the door, appearing on the opposite side of the castle or somewhere on the grounds. 

Sirius shook his head with an innocent expression. He nibbled gingerly on his biscuit, coated in a layer of cinnamon and sugar. Peter, whose mouth was full, had artfully mirrored that innocence as well as pretending to be shocked. James's jaw dropped, utterly offended at what she was insinuating. Remus was the best of them all. No one would ever have suspected him if he wasn't friends with the Marauders. 

"What are you implying Minnie?" James crossed his arms. He had spent the morning with Lacerta, watching and laughing as people disappeared with a loud pop.

She raised a thin eyebrow with a look that would've made any other student shrink, but only made the boys bit their lips to keep from smiling. "I don't believe you are stupid Mr. Potter and know perfectly well what I'm asking."

He couldn't help the smirk that crossed his face. "It's funny how people keep trying to go into Flitwick's room and ending up in the lake. Whoever did it is a true genius."

"Great hair," Sirius added with his own smirk.

"Excellent spell work," Peter nodded along enthusiastically. 

"Spectacular sneaking skills," Remus said with an approving nod. 

Her lips thinned, as if she were keeping herself from smiling, but she kept her face bored. "Who am I supposed to believe did this if it wasn't you four?"

"It could've been anyone in the castle, Mins," James seemed thoughtful. "Perhaps we should assist you with your investigation. As Head Boy, I am mortified with the behavior of my peers. We should separate. Minnie you can question the rest of the Gryffindors --"

"I don't think that will be necessary Mr. Potter." No one could deny that she looked amused. "I would've thought you'd be resting considering your health as of lately."

"I was," he frowned. "Sirius even joined me in my bed last night. Right Padfoot?"

"James gives the best cuddles," Sirius winked at the boy as they dissolved into giggles. "Plus Lacerta woke us up so she can also confirm our alibi!"

McGonagall rubbed at her forehead. "Just show up for detention--"

"Minnie," Lacerta burst through the door with a lawyer like expression. "Innocent until proven guilty and I don't see any proof that these boys have done anything wrong. Until then, boys let go get some dinner. Bye Mins!"

She rolled her eyes, "Goodbye Miss Black."

"You're so bloody brilliant," James pressed his nose into his girlfriend's neck, loving how she smelt and how soft the skin was underneath his lips. Her head tilted so that their lips connected. The boys gagged behind them, but all he could do was hum in content. 

"I'm stealing your girlfriend away!" Remus tugged Lacerta away without so much as a goodbye and he could feel her lose like it was warmth, leaving him with goosebumps up his arms. Sirius was watching his ex-boyfriend leave with an almost jealous expression that made James pout. He wouldn't even be able to breath air without knowing that Lacerta was his. 

Further down, Lacerta was being dragged from their friends as her stomach gurgled with hunger. "Rem," she broke the silence. "I love you, platonically, with all my heart, but I haven't eaten since this morning, and I need some food."

"I-I'm having a dilemma, but we need to be somewhere private to discuss it. I have a bag of crisps in my bag," he told her, pausing for a moment to hand it to her. They didn't speak again until they were safely tucked away in Lacerta's dorm room. Her Head dorm room, definitely not the Slytherin one. 

"So," she said slowly, trying not to startle him. "What's going on Rem?"

"I've met someone," he said, looking like he didn't believe it himself. "In Hogsmeade but we've been writing letters back and forth."

"Oh," a pang of hurt for her brother thudded in her chest, but she was happy for her friend. She was. "Tell me about him or her?"

"His name is Gideon Prewett," a look crossed his face that she hadn't seen since he was with Sirius. He was smitten by this boy. "He's hilarious and beautiful and. . . and I feel like I can really trust him."

She felt pain for her brother, but he had brought it upon himself. She smiled, feeling excited for her best friend. "He sounds like a real charmer. I can't wait to meet him."

"I feel so guilty," her smile faded because he sounded so forlorn. "Is it wrong for me to move on?"

"Absolutely not," she said firmly. "You deserve happiness Remus Lupin. Let yourself be happy."

Tears prickled at the corner of his eyes, making her tear up as well. "I'm a monster, Lacey."

Her arms wrapped around his neck, bringing him close and trying to embrace as much of him as she could. "You are no monster. You are Remus Lupin. The boy who cried when they changed the cake from chocolate to carrot. The boy who folds his socks and lets everyone steal his jumpers. You tutor first years and carry a bar of chocolate in your pocket. That doesn't sound like a monster to me."

"I love you," he cried into her shoulder. Snot was definitely getting on her clothes, but she couldn't care less. He pulled back to quickly wipe his eyes. "We should go before James thinks you're cheating on him."

"I would gladly drop him for you, Moony," she winked, making a smile appear on his face. "But the feast will be over soon and I'm starving." She stopped before they walked out, turning to him with a serious expression. "Don't let Sirius's feelings get in the way or your happiness. He had his chance and he blew it."

"Thanks Lacey," he sighed, looking more relieved than before. They laced their fingers as they walked to the Great Hall and sure enough, James raised an eyebrow at their intertwined hands.

"I've been replaced, haven't I?" he pouted. 

"Absolutely," Lacerta leaned over to kiss Remus on the cheek. The unamused look her boyfriend had been enough for her to peck his lips sweetly. He pinched her thigh as she swatted at his hand. Her plate was already made, piled with enough food for the five of them. She could hear Remus mumbling about the carrot cake in the center of the table. 

Her heart did aerobics as James's hand rested on her knee, not moving up without her nodding consent and squeezing every once in a while, in a loving manner. He was too perfect and so was so head over heels in love with him. That was until she took a sip of her pumpkin juice. Then all she could hear in her head was Mulciber, Mulciber, Mulciber.

She moved away from James's touch, needing to find her fellow Slytherin. Needing to be near him and only him. Her heart was beating for another and there was a vague fuzz in the back of her head that was screaming 'wrong'. 

"Liz are you all right?"

No, but they couldn't possibly know that.

"Yes," she left her food untouched as she got off the bench. "I just need to do something really quick."