18

trigger warnings: violence, mentions of abuse, and I'm very sorry :)

Remus dragged her through the crowds of people so that she could sample a bit of the chocolate cake. Lacerta moaned as soon as the dessert touched her tongue, it had been centuries since she'd had something so sweet. She didn't even care about what Selwyn would say about her weight as she devoured three slices.

He looked at her with wide eyes, laughing at the chocolate on either side of her mouth as she giggled. Remus loved the joyous look in her eyes. She looked so untethered and truly happy for the first time in a while. They made their way to the drinks, challenging each other to a shot contest, which was a mistake on Lacerta's part as Remus had a much higher tolerance.

"We should dance!" her hands wrapped around his neck, having to be on the tips of her toes to reach. He had to grab her before she fell. 

"What happened to her?" Sirius asked as he and Regulus approached the pair. They swayed with each step, each a little tipsy. 

 "It's called 'letting loose' big brother," her energy came back to her as she swung her arms around her siblings in a big hug. "You're both too tall. When did you become so tall? I miss the three of us hanging out together. I'm engaged to the biggest douche in the castle." She snorted.

"I never knew you to be an emotional drunk, Lacey," Regulus chuckled as he rubbed her back.

"I'm so glad you didn't become a Death Eater," she slurred, pressing a kiss to his cheek. The others froze, not understanding what she meant. Regulus froze for a different reason. He didn't want the others to know what was happening behind the walls of Grimmauld. He didn't want the pity or worse, for them to blame him for not leaving sooner.

"What does she mean?" Sirius said with a fierce glare. "You almost got the Mark?"

"She's drunk Sirius," Regulus tried to laugh it off, holding Lacerta up as she rested her head on his shoulder. Her hand waved lazily in front of her as she wandlessly make bubbles appear.

"What's going on?" Peter asked as he and James joined the group. "How much did you let her drink? She's not even going to remember the only good night she's had all year."

"My fault," Remus hiccupped. "She challenged me to a drinking contest and before you say anything, I said no until she called me a hippogriff dung eater."

They looked at him for a moment while he shrugged innocently. Sirius shook his head, "Back to what matters. Walburga and Orion were going to make you a Moldyshorts supporter?"

"No," Regulus pointed at Remus. "I want to hear more about him eating hippogriff dung in his free time."

"I do not!"

"Regulus Arcturus Black!" 

"Jeesh, you sound just like Mother when you use my full name," he sighed. "When you left. . . Mother and Father gave Lacerta a choice. She could either marry Selwyn or I could become a Death Eater to redeem the family name. I tried to talk her out of it--"

"Or you could've just left when we asked you to in the first place," Sirius rose his voice. "Or fucking taken the Mark so that our sister wasn't being fucking tortured every day."

Regulus passed Lacerta off to James, making her blush and giggle like mad. "Give me a fucking break, Sirius. If you hadn't left in the first place--"

Remus, even in his tipsy state of mind, cast a silencing charm around the group. Peter looked deeply uncomfortable, and James was holding Lacerta up as she tried to swing around, punching his chest every time he caught her from falling.

"They were cursing me every day I was there!" he retorted. "I thought you understood that."

"You were wrong! They hated all of us. They cursed all of us. You just didn't have the balls to take us with or did you just want your friends all to yourself? Did you want to be the only 'good' Black? Was that it? Were you going to be the one to redeem our name? Was being the only Gryffindor not special enough for you?"

"You always were a momma's boy, Reg," he snapped. "Just admit that you love them. Even though they are sick and twisted, you love them. You think the cruciatus curse is just tough love, you strive to be better in their eyes. You would've been a proud Death Eater if it meant they looked at you with pride. Tell me, do you get off on torturing Muggleborns or just standing to the side like you did at home?"

That was enough for the youngest Black to lunge forward, tackling the eldest to the floor as he punched him in the nose. They both got a few punches in before the others stepped in to pull them apart. Peter was holding onto Regulus's arms and Remus looked almost tired as he held Sirius back.

"I'll always be the villain, won't I?" Regulus wasn't screaming anymore. He was hurt. He didn't struggle against Peter, who let his arms fall limp at his sides.

"You're a Slytherin, aren't you?" Sirius said with a raised eyebrow. 

"So's Lacerta," he said. "Do you feel the same way about her?"

When the eldest brother didn't say anything, Regulus nodded grimly. He bit his lip to hide any underlaying emotions. "Who was it that told Snape how to get into the Whomping Willow? Was that a Slytherin or was it just another Black?" Regulus said as he turned on his heel, picking up and nearly sleeping Lacerta, before making his way to the dungeons.