33

trigger warning; mentions (nothing explicit) rape and torture

"Regulus!" Lacerta ran after him, watching him pick up speed and push through the crowds in an attempt to disappear. "Regulus Arcturus Black, get your scrawny arse back here!" 

It had confused the group when their little brother had suddenly turned into a new person overnight. Gavin had approached her, knowing that she was aware of the kiss between the two boys, and apologized profusely. He believed that he was the reason for Regulus's sudden switch. Lacerta had firmly told him that he did nothing wrong, she believed that the boy was getting scared. 

It had stung her personally to see her sibling cozying up to Selwyn and his little crew of Death Eaters after everything she did to prevent it. That man had been permanently imbedded in her thoughts. Each time she looked at her narrow build or stared at a plate of food, she could hear him whispering in her ear. Whenever James lightly touched her waist, she struggled to keep her body relaxed. 

The worse was when she and James had gotten into a small spat when James wanted to ditch homework and go to Hogsmeade while Lacerta was trying to get all her work done in their shared common room. They were both stressed, making the disagreement into a bigger thing than it needed to be. Selwyn was all she could think about when she violently flinched away from James when his hand rose to run through his hair. 

She could tell that it had offended James because she could read the boy better than anyone else. Of course, he would never say that out loud. He softened rapidly, asking if he could give her a hug. Lacerta had been embarrassed, knowing that flinching would've made the punishment worse back at Grimmauld. They had collectively decided to not mention it, opting to cuddle in the boy's room.

"What the hell is going on?" she said as soon as she had grabbed the sleeve of his robes. The students were steadily making their way to their classes, not bothered to pay attention to the youngest Blacks. 

His face was cold, bordering on stonelike as he glared down at her. His blue eyes darted to look at something behind her and with a quick look she saw Selwyn, Mulciber, and Avery coming to join him. She waited for her Reggie to stand by her side with a wand pointed at them, this wasn't her Reggie. 

Regulus brushed past her to join the trio, bumping into her shoulder as he walked. "I thought it was obvious, Lacey," Selwyn was only a few feet ahead of her and she was desperately hoping that the fear wasn't on her face. Being a part of the Black family had its perks when you wanted to seem indifferent. "Your brother joined the right side."

"Could make an exception for you too," Avery added with that disgusting smirk on his face that made her want to slap him. "Bet Selwyn would even take you back if you assured him that his prick is better than Potter's"

"I'm afraid I can't," she shrugged. "Mother always told me that lying was improper for a young lady."

"You little--" Selwyn went to walk up to her, but she flicked her wand at him. His pants suddenly became a size too big, dropping to his ankles and making him kiss the floor. 

"Use your fortune to buy yourself a belt, Selwyn," she hissed at him as he struggled to get up, pushing the boys away when they tried to help. "How could you, Regulus?"

The look in her eyes was enough to make his mask falter. She hoped that he could see all the pain that refused to turn into tears. Months. She had spent months being berated, harassed, used, and beaten by a man that she could've easily destroyed in a duel. She did all of that. . . for him. So that he wouldn't be forced to take the Mark he'd loathed so much. It was all for nothing. That trauma would hang over her head like a knife and it wasn't even worth it. 

"Mother was right," he said simply. "Being a blood-traitor in this war is a death wish. If getting rid of a few mud bloods keeps me alive then so be it. You're only going to get yourself killed, Lacerta."

"I'd rather die then," she said, turning on her heel to go back to her room. Her heart felt numb, barely flinching when she was struck by a tripping jinx. It had been stupid of her to think that Selwyn would let her leave without casting a curse or two.

"You don't have your family name to protect you now, Lacey," he said. It wasn't as intimidating when he was holding up his pants with one hand, but her heart ran cold when she realized what he was referencing. They had threatened her the night she'd stopped them from raping Mary MacDonald, but she told them that the Blacks would ruin them. 

"No," she answered honestly, "but if you think that James, Remus, Sirius, and even Peter would let you get away with it then you are dead wrong. Remember what happened Aubrey when he catcalled me the first day? You'd be dead and no one would find the body. I'd make sure that your death is by my own hand, slow and painful."

"Fifty points from Slytherin," she said after a pregnant pause, using her role as Head Girl to her advantage. "Now go before I give you detention with either James or Filch."

Lacerta gave her brother her most heated stare as he walked away with his friends behind him. There would be no saving him this time, no convincing him to do the right thing. Reggie was dead and Regulus Black had taken his place. He'd also taken a large piece of Lacerta with him without even knowing it.