51

Back at school was a frenzy for everyone in their year, it seemed even the Marauders were taking a break from the shenanigans as the studying for Newts took over. Seemed is the key word is the previous sentence because let's face it, the Marauders always had something up their sleeve and they (Sirius and James) thought it was horrid to see so many students buried underneath their books instead of enjoying the last few months they had left at Hogwarts. 

James was trying to get the girls on his side so they could pull something spectacular. Remus was working his magic on Lily (which included Tonya because she would do anything with or for Lily) while Peter was with Mary and Sirius was sweet talking Marlene and Dorcas. James batted his eyelashes at his girlfriend, who was practically absorbing a book on Ancient Runes. He tried not to gag at the thought or feel offended that she was giving a book more attention than him.

"No," she deadpanned, her eyes never straying from the text.

"But I didn't even finish my sentence!" He dramatically pushed his head into her stomach so that her hand would go through his hair, just how he liked it. "You're so mean to me."

"You already bought me a house. I don't have to pretend to like you anymore," she teasingly pulled a strand of his hair, making his stomach leap as he peaked his eyes up to look at her again. 

"Golddigger," he mumbled, leaning up to kiss her gently, they had spoke for a while on what was ok between them and she consented to kissing once more as long as he did so slowly so that she had time to either say no or eagerly meet him - she did the latter. 

"You know me so well, darling!" she chirped. "Now go away so I can finish."

"Newts aren't for another three months," he argued, reaching to take the book only to get a sharp pinch on his palm. "You bloody Blacks and your sharp nails!" 

"Bloody Potter and your need for attention," she retorted. James tried not to sigh - he had a bit of a degradation kink. She moved so that he was by her side instead of on top of her, her eyes still moving back and forth on the lines. They were resting on the couch in the Head dorms, mainly so that she could have peace and quiet but that was a stupid thought when she was dating the one and only James Potter. 

"It would be something fun," he tried again, nuzzling his head on top her hers and moving her closer to his chest so that her ear was laying on her heart. He hoped she knew that it beat only for her. The way she made him feel was unlike any other drug in the planet. She sighed, letting him know that he was winning her over. "We could fill the Great Hall with water and make it warm. Add some fish or even the Giant Squid! He hardly ever gets to see the castle."

She sat for a long second that had him taking the time to see her emotions cross her face. The tense lines of concentration around her eyes, the softening around her mouth, and finally the fall that symbolized her relenting to his wishes. "Fine, but you have to study when we are done. I'll only allow you one more prank after this and that is your end of year prank that comes after we are all done with our tests."

"This is why I love you," he grinned, kissing the top of her head as she giggled, nudging into him further. 

"I am amazing," she agreed, returning to her book in silence as he simply looked at the pages and pretended he knew what he was looking at. They would meet up with the others around dinner to discuss the plan of action. For now, he got to enjoy some time with the light of his life without the stress of the real world added on top.

"Can't argue with that," he assented. 

******

"Jesus fucking Christ," Lily cursed as she watched them carry the Giant Squid into the Great Hall around four in the morning. 

"Who?" Sirius looked at her curiously with his head cocked like a dog.

"Muggle Merlin," Marlene whispered to him. He nodded as if he understood what she just said. The squid seemed to be elated as it wriggled in the air, sloshing the water in his bubble over the group of seventh years, who groaned in disgust. 

"We're just leaving it up there?" Lily asked, toeing closer to Tonya as they eyed the giddy squid. 

"It was short notice otherwise I could've ordered some friends for him," James sighed as if he was greatly disappointed with himself. 

"I think it's better this way," Lacerta conjured more water into the squid's bubble so that he may toss it there way once more. The floor seemed to be ankle deep of water from how much the Giant Squid was tossing about. "Right then, James you told me you would study with me if I did this with you."

"It's four in the bloody morning woman!" he screeched, covering his mistake afterwards as he listened for Filch's footsteps. 

"I doubt you'd sleep anyways," she teased, knowing that the boy was overly energetic after a prank and would want nothing more than to jump around the dorm until the sun was rising over the horizon. He sighed in defeat, much like she did previously. He grasped her hand and ran at a speed that had her cursing and stumbling behind him. The others rubbed at their weary eyes as they trudged back to their beds, overly excited to sleep instead of stay up for the last two hours of the night. 

There was so little left for the group at Hogwarts that James was desperate to soak up every moment. He was so full of life that it was unimaginable that he would have to contain some of his joy after Hogwarts - having a target on his back surely put a damper on his plans. Still, he wanted to fight. 

Lacerta was on a different spectrum. Hogwarts was full of dark corners and past trauma. The only good thing to come of it was James. She was going to carry him with her and leave the rest behind her, start anew life that was quiet and peaceful. She didn't want to fight simply because she wasn't ready to die. 

It's cruel how fate works sometimes.