22

Andromeda and Ted couldn't risk dropping off Regulus and Lacerta. He was a muggleborn and they had a small child to take care off. The siblings understood - they'd heard Bellatrix rant about her disowned sister enough times to urge the older woman to stay home. 

Lacerta felt on top of the world in her new Muggle clothing. She wore jeans that were bought for her and not borrowed, a baggy crop top that hid all the weight she'd lost, and a jacket that she wrapped around herself. Regulus seemed to have more of a problem trying to look casual. He wore dress pants and a white button-up.

Euphemia and Fleamont gave each of the four a kiss on the cheek and a hug that squeezed all the air from their lungs. "I want you each to be careful," the mother cupped Sirius's cheeks as he halfheartedly swatted at her hands. "Make sure you keep up on your daily visits to Madam Pomfrey and I want you to steer clear of that Seaweed fellow."

"Like I'd ever want to see him again," Lacerta mumbled, feeling pale at the reminders. Ever since the younger Black siblings left Grimmauld, their symptoms had only gotten worse. The potion that had genetically modified their blood had also made it a thousand times worse than a typical case. 

"I'm going to fucking murder his bitch arse when I see him," Sirius cracked his knuckles with a deadly expression, dodging Euphemia's hand. "Sorry, Mia, but now that I don't have to worry about him taking it out on Lacey, I'm going to make him pay."

Regulus seemed to grimace, still upset with his older brother even if they were pretending it never happened. 

"No, you're not," Lacerta felt her stomach twist, either from the curse or anxiety. "We don't have our family name to back us up anymore. Half of the people in our House are going to be after us for being blood-traitors now."

"Lacerta!" a voice interrupted before any of the boys could respond. Remus Lupin looked ecstatic to see her again as he engulfed her in a bone crushing embrace, lifting her off of the ground and swinging her around. "You look amazing."

"No, I don't," she laughed. Her skin had a sickly grey undertone, her lips were a pale purple to match the circles under her eyes, and her skin shined with fever. 

"James seems to agree with me," he whispered so that only the two of them could hear. She glanced to where the Potter boy was reuniting with Peter, glaring at the close proximity the two had yet his hazel eyes always seemed to soften when they landed on her.

"You're full of shit," she pushed at his chest lightly. The whistle on the Hogwarts express blew, making her jump slightly before she was led towards the train by an eager Regulus. 

Time seemed to slow painfully as she made eye contact with Charles Selwyn, who stood on the opposite side of the platform. Her heart seemed to thud against her chest as the blood drained from her face. He had enough time to wink before she forced her eyes away.

"I have to go to my prefects meeting," Remus groaned, dragging his feet. "Someone had better buy me some chocolate before I get back or I'm going to bit someone's head off."

Lacerta reached for her spare change until she remembered her vault had been closed off and she no longer had an infinite number of galleons on her person. Sirius seemed to realize it at the same time, "Uncle Alphard left me a shit ton of money so I'll buy the snacks for the ride."

"I think Reg and I are going to sit with Lils and Tonya," Lacerta said quietly, scanning the area for red hair. 

"Are you sure--" James started. Now that she was by his side, he never wanted to let go. He'd wait forever if it meant being with her in the end. 

"Yes," she said curtly. Lacerta had been told what went down when she'd blacked out at the party, how Sirius could only see them as the villains, how no one had stood up for them except for Remus who punched his ex in the nose. A small, petty part of her was still upset with James as well, even if he hadn't meant to be rude. 

The moment she saw Tonya was like a ton of bricks being lifted off her shoulders. It had been too long since she was able to openly embrace her closest friend. Lily was not far behind with a blush on her freckled cheeks.

"I get one sloppy letter saying you were disowned and then I don't hear from you for days!" Tonya exclaimed. 

"I'm sorry, but I didn't know what else to write," she pulled back to wave at Lily. "Did you guys stay together over break?"

They both glanced at each other before quickly looking away. Regulus smirked, "Did you two finally snog?"

Lily was the one to speak, "Maybe."

They found a compartment in the center of the train, spending the rest of their time laughing and poking fun at the new couple. Lacerta watched them fondly, so grateful to have people like them in her life. She couldn't imagine a world without Lily Evan's snorts of laughter, of Tonya's sarcastic humor, and Regulus biting his lip to stop himself from smiling too much. 

It was in that moment that she decided to keep the curse a secret for a little bit longer. She couldn't stand the pity on the Marauders face, how they looked at her as if it would be the last time they'd ever see her.

This was the closest she'd ever get too normal, and she was going to cherish every second of it.