Chapter 48: Shinigami vs Shinigami

A/N: I know, it's been literally forever but I've been steadily writing out the final chapters for the book. I'm aiming to have them all done by the end of 2021 so be prepared for a few more updates!

~

From nights and days training with Kisuke, observing him growing stronger and stronger, I knew he had untapped potential. That kid was full of surprises.

Renji blew out a relieved sigh. "Of course count on Ichigo to come to the rescue." He collapsed with his back to a tree, a hand on his stomach. Only now could I see his body swathed in bandages.

The phoenix roared its fury.

"Yeah, but who's going to save him now?" Blocking it once was a miracle. Stopping it twice might prove too much.

Not to mention the captains and lieutenants watching with upturned faces. I mentally prepared myself for the face that we might have to run in once Ichigo saved Rukia.

"Wait, who's that?" I questioned. Three new figures had entered the scene. One wore captain robes. He held something... strange... before him. A shield?

A sudden rope or chain appeared, snaking its way towards the phoenix and strangled the living daylights out of the bird.

...Probably not, but it certainly looked that way with the bird frozen in mid air.

It came from the large wooden board the white-haired captain stood next to. Another captain joined the new one, one I knew because everyone woman fawned over him and how handsome he looked with a pink kimono – Shunsui Kyoraku.

"That's the Captain of the Thirteenth Squad! And the Captain of the Eighth!" Renji exclaimed.

A bright flash of light came from the wood then orange ascended up the line. Once it reached the bird, the colours merged. The phoenix burst into smithereens, a rain of fire falling on the onlookers below.

I held my arm out as a blast of hot air reached us, tearing limbs from the branches and throwing dirt in our eyes.

"Did you know that could happen?" I shouted to Renji over the howling wind.

"I didn't even know it could become a bird!" he answered.

When everything settled, it grew quiet once again. I really wanted to draw nearer to find out what was happening exactly but that wasn't feasible. Surprise would be our friend if they needed it.

A figure stood atop the execution stand. What did Ichigo plan to do now? The scaffold glowed blue. Realisation dawned – he planned to break it. But for the hunk of wood it was, it was practically indestructible said all accounts.

It shattered within seconds, another explosion rocking the Seireitei. My mouth dropped open into a large 'O'.

'What the hell did Kisuke feed that kid?'

"Your friends shouldn't be far away so you should stay here."

"Huh?" I gawked at Renji as he withdrew his zanpakuto a fraction to loosen it and sheathed it with a click.

"I'm going to help out. Stay here."

"I don't follow orders given by a person with no natural eyebrows. Besides," I said, waving off his indignation, "with that many captains floating about, it's better we go together."

He raised one of those tattooed eyebrows at me, looked me up and down. "You can't even stand up straight. And you don't have a zanpakuto. This would be a repeat of last time."

I shoved myself off the tree I was practically hugging. "I'm perfectly fine."

'Liar.'

He clicked his tongue and shunpo'ed away before I could even respond. "Ah!" I reached into empty space. Guess the decision had been made. I hated when everyone was right.