Chapter 51: Aftermath

A/N: Please no judgement on how some of the characters act, namely old man Yama. I have reasons for that but it won't be answered unless I plan to write up Book Two. These are the ways the characters act towards Kera. It's also a long chapter which I had to end up splitting, didn't realise I had written so much for it. Enjoy!

I played with the end of my braid, swishing it back and forth along the palm of my hand. After the battle, it hadn't gone back to it's usual colour so now I was stuck with hair as blue as the sky. I didn't mind it much, it suited me somehow, but it was cumbersome to brush. And even more dangerous to let Yachiru near it.

The sun had risen a while ago but I was reluctant to leave the bed. It had been comforting doing nothing but lie here for several days. Alone, quiescent, unbothered by anyone besides Yachiru's sporadically unpredictable visits and a few others from the Squad. Unohana had decreed total, quiet bed-rest for me and everyone obeyed Unohana.

Except nothing could stop the thoughts in my head, the ache inside me. Strange how when you had to share a body with a foul-mouthed, violent Hollow, you actually missed them when they were gone.

"Chiya, are you there?"

Silence. It had been the same since the battle. The turmoil of her emotions in reaction to Aizen, it hurt to even dwell on them. They'd been so raw that they left a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps she was still pissed when I caused us to lose the fight against Aizen - that was me trying to be positive.

Perhaps Aizen's attack had sent her away somehow. Maybe I should have let her use the Cero.

I clutched at my chest, feeling hollow. I had a lot to feel empty about these past few days.

Of all the people who'd come to visit me, the Head Captain had not been one of the ones I expected.

I sat up when I heard the click of the handle turning. Yachiru led the procession, with old man Yama right behind her.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Hello, Head Captain."

"Leave us be," he commanded. Yachiru slipped out quietly with a final glance at me.

"I'd stand but..."

"That's quite alright," he said, taking a seated before the bed. "Captain Unohana and I have already spoken."

"To what do I owe a visit?" I questioned. I didn't need any questions of concerns nor words of comfort. When you met with the Head Captain one-on-one, it only spelt trouble.

"I'm here to discuss your soul reaper status." And just like that, I felt my stomach dropped away. His words buzzed in my ears. "I know you wish to return to Squad Eleven, and we are grateful in your help in trying to stop Aizen and the others, but..." Here, he trailed off.

I took a deep breath before speaking."Do you mean to say I can't come home?" My voice was barely more than a whisper. I clasped my hands together so he wouldn't see them shake.

"Unfortunately not. While many have petitioned for your return, I cannot allow you in the Soul Society. The reason being the Hollow."

My hand raised to my throat before I could stop it, to the uncovered Hollow hole I hadn't wished to hide any longer. What use was there in concealing it when everyone must have sensed or seen the Cero at my lips.

"A number of people witnessed her unbridled, uncontrolled strength for themselves, and also the concern that the Hollow had ties to Aizen in the past. I cannot allow such dangerous power to reside in the Soul Society unchecked."