Chapter 41: In Sane we Trust

The growl came unbidden from my throat. Through the orange, cracked shield summoned by Orihime, I spied the powerful newcomers striding forward.

The male cocked his head at me, delight written in those wide, golden eyes and pulled back lips. His skeletal, black-and-white face would give anyone the chills. Hovering by his side, ever faithful, was a woman with long black hair in a plait, a red choker on her neck.

Winner, winner, guess who had the worst luck in the world.

I should have made the assumption he would be close behind his squad members when they announced their company number, should have known something unintentionally suicidal had been prepared for us.

Captain of Squad Twelve, Mayuri Kurotsuchi, and his lieutenant, Nemu Kurotsuchi.

You didn't wander and reside in the soul society without knowing the infamous captain, for all the wrong reasons.

Orihime's shield shattered and I shifted into fighting stance. Their spiritual pressure attempted to force me to my knees, testing my boundaries. I calmed my panicked heart and thoughts and let their energy wash over me like they were nothing more than a winter's gentle breeze, which was must harder than it sounded. Sweat tricked down the back of my neck from the effort. Uryu's and Orihime's conversation drifted around me, hushed whispers as they checked on each other.

"Hah! What a fascinating move!" said Mayuri, nasally voice sending a shiver down my spine. "The shield... is the girl behind you making it?"

Uryu came to stand by my shoulder. "I'm not in the mood for conversation."

"None of us are so I suggest you move along," I added.

Mayuri's eyes sparkled with sadistic joy. "Oh my, so it really is you. Kera Sebonsai, disgraced member of Squad Eleven." My spine stiffened. "But no matter. You're a failure as a soul reaper so you'll be of no use to me. But the girl, I've never seen such a thing. Marvelous! You, girl, how would you like to be my research subject?"

I took a step forward, drawing Mayuri's eyes from Orihime behind me. He studied me with disinterest. "Sorry to disappoint but we're not here to make any deals," I said. "You guys need to get out of here," I addressed my friends.

It would be great if Chiya was here to lend me her sword and powers; yet until she gathered her strength again, I was on my own.

"You can't seriously be thinking of taking me on by yourself. I'm a Captain!" crowed Mayuri.

"Yeah, and I'm fourth seat of Squad Eleven. Just because you're stronger than me doesn't mean I'm going to run." I looked to my friends and my old company member. "And when my friends and squad mates are involved, I'll stand here and fight until my enemy's face down in the dirt."

A hand grabbed my shoulder and spun me round. Uryu's furious eyes bored into mine. "You don't even have a sword, Kera!" he shouted, shaking me at the same time.

I slapped his hand away, putting distance between us. I made sure Uryu wasn't in Mayuri's line of fire and my back wasn't completely turned to two of them. They seemed content to stand back for now but with a Captain, anything could happen.

Then, even though I was trembling in my boots, I gave Uryu a smirk, channelling my fear for my safety and theirs into adrenaline. "Like I said, I'm fourth seat of Squad 11. I'll fight bare handed." My grin kept my teeth from chattering.

"Honestly! But I guess this is how you stupid, emotional creatures do things," Mayuri scoffed. "Once I'm finished with you, that girl is next. Unless she wishes to accept my deal. I'll offer you the best possible terms!"