Chapter 5: Lieutenants and Captains

I woke to Yachiru screaming

"I WANT KERA TO BE A LIEUTENANT WITH ME!"

I groaned, rolling out of bed heavily. I didn't realise I was such a lightweight when it came to alcohol until now. Hell, I think that sake was my first taste of alcohol. Head pounding and with a mouth that tasted like the blasted drink, I staggered to my feet and dressed sluggishly, hardly able to keep my eyes opened.

CRASH! BANG!

The increase in Yachiru's spiritual pressure was what made me move faster and I dashed out the door, searching for her. I followed the trail of pink spiritual pressure twisting in the air, finding her glaring at several people, some I knew and others that I didn't.

"Yachiru, be reasonable," Toshiro stated.

"No!" Yachiru shrieked, stamping her foot. The ground shook.

"Oh come on, Yachiru; you know the head captain won't allow it," a red head with a very large bust - Rangiku most likely - tried reasoning with her.

"I. DON'T. CARE!" she screamed and the ground rumbled violently.

"Yachiru," I snapped behind her, folding my arms.

Her spiritual pressure died away immediately as she turned and jumped on me. "Good morning!" she cried, hugging me tightly.

"What's going on?" I asked, glancing at the other soul reaper's in turn.

It seemed that besides Toshiro and Rangiku, Tetsuzaemon and Shuhei had also made an appearance, along with a man with spiky red hair and a short girl with the Squad 5 lieutenant badge on her arm. No one from Squad 11 were present I realised.

"Rangiku mentioned how strong you were when you were at the soul reaper academy," I flinched, but she continued on, "and that you are strong enough to be lieutenant but then I said that was my job. Then she mentioned that the Head Captain might allow you to be the second lieutenant for Squad 11," Yachiru babbled on.

I placed her on the ground. "And? Who said anything about me wanting to be lieutenant?" I replied snappishly. This headache is killing me.

"Exactly," Toshiro butted in before Yachiru could answer. "There has never been two lieutenants for a Squad before and there never will be. The Head Captain would not allow it."

"But Rangiku said-" Yachiru began, her bottom lip pouting outwards.

"Don't listen to Rangiku. Half the stuff that comes out of her mouth is word vomit from being drunk.

"Captain!" Rangiku exclaimed in indignation before assaulting him with an extremely interesting set of words.

Growling, massaging my temples, I glanced around and noticed that Squad 11 were actually present, only they stood a very long distance away. Kenpachi wasn't present.

"What the hell? You were watching the whole time?" I asked, throwing my hands in the air. They walked forward once they realised they had been seen. "Do you know that she could destroy the whole Seritei if she wanted to?" I said, pointing at Yachiru jumping on the red haired guy and tugging his hair.

"Being a bit dramatic, aren't you Kera?" Ikkaku commented.

I ignored his jab. "Where's the captain?"

"He's away at a special meeting," Yumichika answered.

"That's just great," I muttered under my breath.

"Hey, I know!" Everyone's heads turned to Yachiru again. "Let's go see the Head Captain!" she cried, before grabbing a hold of my arm. "Come on, Kera!" she then proceeded to try and drag me.