Chapter 17: Karakura High School

Kisuke told me that I had to lay low while he deciphered a way to get me back my soul reaper powers. He said it would be hard, but not entirely impossible, so there was a good chance that I could go back to being, well, me.

RRRIIIINNNNGGG!

Scowling, I hefted the school bag up onto my shoulder again, looking through the wrought iron gates to the front of the school.

Karakura High School was stamped on the front of the building and students were piling in through the opened double doors. Grumbling, I joined the crush, people jostling me to and fro.

I don't know why I was putting up with this; it was all Urahara's idea.

That bloody idiot.

I thought back to the conversation from this morning, wondering if there would have been a way for me to escape this fate.

"Kera, I think going to school would be good," Urahara said from behind his fan.

"Yeah, you've been moping around here all week," Jinta butted in before Tessai hit him on the head.

"I've already been to school once before; I'm not going back," I seethed, glaring at Jinta.

"I get that, but laying low is a part of your job at the moment. At the moment, pretending to be human is the best way to mask your spiritual pressure. Who knows, you might find a way to get your soul reaper powers back at school." Urahara rifled around in a box. "Besides, I already have your uniform!" he crowed proudly.

"Yeah, no. Bloody Kisuke," I hissed under my breath.

"Excuse me?" asked someone in a soft voice.

"Huh?" I turned to see a girl with bright orange hair standing behind me.

"Are you going in?" she asked.

"Uh." I blinked, before noticing that I was standing in the middle of the doorway. "Oh, oops. Sorry." I stood to the side.

"That's okay," she replied, standing beside me. "I'm Orihime Inoue. Are you new here?"

"Yeah, it's my first day; my name is Kera Senbonsai."

"An interesting name," she gushed and I gave her a weird look. "Well, I'll take you to the office then."

"Thanks. That's really nice of you." I was genuinely surprised that she was offering her help to me.

"Come on!" she called out, grabbing my hand and leading me into the school building and down a long hallway before we reached the office.

Following after her, I realised that she reminded me instantly of Yachiru and it hurt, being reminded of my past. But I shook it from my head, trying not to dwell on it.

"Ah, good morning girls." The office lady greeted us as we pushed open the door, a little bell tingling in response.

Another reminder of those I had lost.

Captain.

Aw, come on now; don't tell me you're still pining and whining like a child.

Gritting my teeth, I tried to drive that blue dragon's voice from my head; she just laughed at me.

"Kera?"

Shaking my head quickly, I turned back to Orihime and the office lady, who was now holding out a piece of paper to me.

"Oh, sorry ma'am. I'm just a bit overwhelmed, that's all," I answered, the lie rolling off my tongue easily.