Chapter 49: Victory?

A/N: Wow, okay, my memory is really shocking because I had to change like most of this chapter from what I originally wrote from 'memory' XD. Chapter is also over 2000 words long because I wanted to fit the end bit here instead of in the next chapter. 

A bright flash of white light illuminated the trees, casting our shadows out sharply behind us. I shielded my eyes from the glare and the wave of power crashing over us.

Our conversation died and we paused walking. I realised on the second bright flash of white and crashing power who Ichigo was up against. One of the captains I hoped he wouldn't face because if he did, he would never ask for help.

I sighed. The others were pale and scared at the sheer strength of spiritual pressure.

"What is this spiritual pressure?" Chad questioned.

I opted out of telling them that it was Byakuya Kuchiki that Ichigo had pitted himself against.

A tap on my head. "Byakki is getting serious," Yachiru mused quiet enough for only me to hear.

I only hummed in response. Another flash reached over. That had to be the fifth or sixth one now. Each attack as strong as the next.

"Orihime, I think we should move further away," Uryu said to her, touching her arm gently. "There isn't much we can do here."

She had her arms wrapped around her torso, the visible effort of keeping herself stationary written across her face. She wanted to run to Ichigo so badly. But I think she knew that, like the rest of us, we wouldn't have neither the strength to face such an opponent in our state nor the nerve to defy Ichigo if he wished us gone.

"Thank you, Uryu. But I'm sorry, I want to stay here."

We could do nothing more than wait helplessly aside for now. I gnawed on a thumb, considering our options. With the show of strength, it would be prudent to rush headlong towards the clearing. I glanced around as another flash appeared. It made it harder to see around us. Strategically, that was bad in enemy territory.

"Don't lose, Ichigo," muttered Uryu.

I clapped my hands to get their attention. "There isn't much else we can do but sit and wait and gather our strength back. Just because Ichigo is fighting however doesn't mean it's over. We need to keep an eye out for any other soul reapers."

"What do you suggest we do?" Chad asked.

"Split up into pairs and spread out in a line. Make sure you're within calling distance to all of us and be on the defensive."

They looked reluctant to do so but heeded my words. Chad and Uryu moved together, I sent Ganju with Makizo and Yachiru. Orihime and I moved off.

I patted her gently on the back – I wasn't really good at comforting but she gave me a grateful smile.

"You stay focused on Ichigo's direction. I'll watched out for anyone coming around," I told her and she nodded.

Time passed agonisingly slowly. Fortunately, nothing happened. But there was a single point where the flashes stopped. I stiffened at the zing of power I sensed, uncommonly familiar to one I too possessed.

Not possible.

Another flash of light but red this time. Dark red, heavy spiritual pressure. The others all stiffened, looking at one another but neither raised any concerns. It couldn't be felt in the pressure, just that something was different. It died away soon enough and I let out a shaky breath.

"What happens if someone appears?" Orihime asked.

"If it isn't someone from my squad or another you have made friends with, we have to fight." And by 'we', I just meant me.