Chapter 39: Taking a Backseat in the Fights - Damn you, Chiya!

Two soul reapers scanned the area. They looked to each other before walking in opposite directions. I motioned for Uryu and Orihime to move then took up rear. After the encounter earlier, we'd been having some peace and quiet. I wanted to keep it that way.

As we walked, I munched on a banana Uryu had packed. He'd brought other snacks but they were all crunchy and any sound we made now would come back to haunt us no doubt. The silence between us was good and the fact that they were more alert to enemies now gave me more time to berate that stupid Hollow.

'What the hell happened to Dorangohato?'

Chiya stirred. Both Kisuke and I warned you, did we not? And the cat too. Avoid using my sword while in the Soul Society.

'It wasn't like I had much of a choice, you overgrown lizard.' Her anger flared up and for a second, we both looked out through my eyes.

You are the stupid one. I'm using almost all my energy to make sure you don't die. The least you could do is try harder. He almost killed us.

She didn't have to explain who 'he' was. 'It wasn't like I was trying to run into him. I'm not as strong as I was before all this.'

And yet you decide to turn and fight several times.

'There was only so far I could run before being caught. Then we'd have to fight on his terms.'

Chiya grumbled something unintelligible. I didn't ask her to repeat it; it was most likely a curse upon me. Our spiritual energies are joined, Kera. Dorangohato is a powerful weapon to wield but the toll it takes is great even with our combined spirits. I'm surprised you managed to perform Kido after noticing Dorangohato was missing.

'So you're saying I'm out of power?' I didn't feel any different or any fatigue.

I'm taking the brunt of it but you should have noticed by now that running's difficult for you, like you're a human with no endurance. I can't help you anymore, Kera, if you do encounter someone you can't escape. Nor can my sword help. If you try to use it again, you'll die.

"Where to now?" Orihime mouthed when we reached a dead-end. Walking was a death trap. Every time we turned a corner came the chance someone would be standing there. And the dead-ends in this place were plentiful and I didn't know them all to avoid them. My nerves were on quickfire again. Chiya's words frightened me to the core because if we ran into someone we could not face, we'd be dead as doorknobs.

We had to hide, at least until the searches settled down and my powers regenerated. I looked for a manhole but there were none here.

Uryu nudged me and pointed ahead at a tall building with a gold roof. "Roof?"

Good vantage point and good hiding spot all in one. I nodded. Hopefully no one else had the same idea. We got to the top by scaling the walls. I didn't want to risk entering it and finding someone snoozing on the stairs. We slithered forward to the edges. Uryu looked first, then Orihime, then me.

Down below, a wall blew apart to our left and we flinched, staying low. From the dust walked Kenpachi. Yachiru balanced on his shoulder. He looked pissed.

I hit the ground so hard I knocked the breath out of me. The others did the same, shooting worried glances my way. Had he managed to pick up my trail? There was no way to be sure.

"He's gone," Orihime whispered and I gave her a withering stare. She zipped her lips. We stayed down for a few moments longer then I raised my head cautiously. She was right, he was gone. It better stay that way.