Chapter 40: Dress the Part. Blend In. Try to Keep your Mouth Shut.

In the darkness, there was a spark that grew into a burst of lightning. I focused on it, reached for it with leaden limbs. I wasn't sure my fingers had touched it; it split in two and shot left and right. Colours came into focus. The one on my left was black and red, demonic in form. On the right, yellow and black in a laughing skull.

I shouldn't have known who they were but the words were already on my lips, falling out as whispers.

"Kurosaki. Zaraki."

The two forms hovered, growing in strength in power. As a bystander, I could do nothing as the power washed over me. Invigorating me. A thrill ran through me. The two entities collided in a headlong rush-

I jolted upright, gasping. The spiritual pressures of my captain and Ichigo was nowhere to be sensed even though they'd been so close to touch. A dream then. But it felt too real.

"Oh hey, she's awake."

I turned towards the voices. Uryu and Orihime were adjusting soul reaper uniforms. Why? I put a hand to my head. "How long was I out for?"

"Quite some time," Orihime came to my side and knelt down beside me. "Your wounds weren't severe but you must have used up a lot of energy."

I was naked from the waist up beside a thick bandage that had been wound around my chest to preserve my modesty. Hollow bone filled in the slices Jirobi had given me, albeit smaller now.

"I was going to heal you but then that started filling up the wounds," Orihime explained, eyes drawn inexplicably to the Hollow bone.

"It looks like Hollow bone." Uryu's voice was short, blunt. To the point. "And so did the one on your arm."

No more hiding this secret. I craned my head back to look at him. "That's because it is Hollow bone." Orihime gasped. "And you guys deserve an explanation. Take a seat or you might faint."

They crowded around me as I redressed, leaving the bandage as it was. There was bound to be a number of injuries to come now we were delving deeper into the Seireitei which meant a lot more being stripped down for my wounds. I was being pragmatic here.

'Chiya, are you there?' Having her close by could show the others what I look and sound like when she takes over. Plus she could explain more if needed. 'Chiya?'

No answer. I pursed my lips and sought her out but there was nothing there. Worry gnawed at me. Perhaps I had over done it.

"Kera? Are you in pain?"

I blinked back to reality to see the others staring at me worriedly. "Sorry. I'm fine, really." I gave a small smile to reassure them. "I guess I better start explaining."

"No secrets," Uryu said quickly. Orihime threw him a look but his eyes were on mine.

"I'm entitled to my secrets but I'll tell you everything that you need to know," I retorted. I didn't wait for his agreement. He had to take it or leave it. "I was a member of Squad Eleven before I maimed my lieutenant."

I explained it all: my downfall from grace after being accused of a sin I never committed and one I did; being found by Urahara and letting the old fool help me out; meeting all them, knowing from the first contact just who Ichigo and Rukia were; why I wore a collar to suppress my spiritual pressure; how I could heal with Hollow bone.

Of discovering that I housed a Hollow within my body and that I was never a soul reaper to begin with. When I got to that part, my voice cracked and I had to bite my knuckle and advert my gaze from them. Their pity was strong and I didn't need pity at the moment.