Chapter 2: Candy, Bars and a Good Night Sleep

We made it to the Ryokyon district in good time, landing in front of one of the best candy stalls in the district, almost giving the poor owner a heart attack.

"Okay, can I please have two bags of that, three bags of that and a bag of that," I rambled quickly, pointing at each thing in turn. The stall owner rushed to get everything, looking flustered as he placed everything on the table.

I handed over the cash and grabbed the bags, handing three of them to Yachiru to hold. With bags in hand, we headed back the way we came, Yachiru mentioning a large tree that overlooked a pond just outside the Squad grounds.

I followed her directions, but didn't get anywhere, so I climbed a tall building to search for it.

"There!" Yachiru cried, pointing to my left.

We headed over there, the tree surpassing what I had originally been imagining. I thought it would be a cherry blossom tree, but instead it was a humongous oak tree, with broad, twisting limbs and lots of coverage.

"Come on!" Yachiru squealed happily, before bounding up into the tree and settling on a branch.

I followed her up and settled down too, opening my bag to gobble down the lollies. Yachiru seemed to almost inhale all the sugar. For a couple of hours, we sat there, just talking about trivial stuff. She was part way through telling me what she had nicknamed everybody in the Seritei when I felt his spiritual pressure.

With my legs draped over the branch tightly, I swung backwards until I was hanging upside down. Grinning, I saw Kenpachi leaning against the tree, looking up.

"Hey Kenny!" Yachiru cried out, joining me, before tipping up her bag and dumping the leftover sugar onto him. She looked at me imploringly.

I followed suit, dumping the sugar, and it floated down to Kenpachi like snow. We giggled.

"I'm hoping you didn't end up here because you got lost," he stated, catching some sugar in the palm of his hand and licking it off.

"Nope," I replied, grabbing the tree and dropping to the ground gracefully.

"Good. Don't follow instructions from Yachiru."

"Done that. I have a good grasp on what the whole Seritei looks like now."

He chuckled while Yachiru squawked in indignation, falling on the tree branch to land on me.

"We better head back in," he stated and from my position on the floor, I noticed that the sun was already past noon. "We'll discuss your ranking if you want?"

Dusting myself off, I followed after Kenpachi and Yachiru to their office. I settled down on a pillow opposite Kenpachi, Yachiru off in the corner playing.

"Now, what level has your zanpakuto reached?"

"I'm proficient in shikai and have just achieved bankai," I answered, keeping it short.

"Hmm, that helps. Considering your fight with Ikkaku and that you managed to hold him back and knock him to the ground, you're quite a strong soul reaper."

"You saw all that?" I was amazed. I hadn't realised he was watching the whole time.

He grinned that famous smirk I had seen from a distance before. "I had known you were coming."

"So that stuff you said about not being impressed that the old man had sent you a girl?"

"I still meant that. Women are a lot weaker," he said, smirking.

Scowling, I stood up and stomped to the door, slamming it behind me. I could hear Kenpachi's booming laughter following me out, but I didn't really feel hurt. Just... angry. A sense of determination settled within me.