Chapter 20: Punch of the Fallen Angel

The look of shock on Rukia's face was evident as I slowed to a halt, before slipping behind a wall. It seemed they hadn't noticed me yet.

"You? Renji Abarai?!" Rukia exclaimed, as Renji pounced.

His sword struck the ground before her, a large boom echoing. When he drew back, a crack in the pavement became clear through the dust. "Hunters from the soul society are on your heels and you're so lost in thought that you don't notice?" Renji scoffed. "I realise you're in a gigai but it only took a couple of months to completely lose your edge!" The end of the sentence became laughter as Renji sneered at Rukia.

He shifted his sword to his shoulder, staring down at her. "Talk, Rukia. Where's the human who stole your powers?"

I banged my fist against the wall, contemplating what to do. I couldn't just run out there and attack them; I had nothing. I felt useless hiding in the shadows, an onlooker to this.

What the hell am I supposed to do?! I screamed at myself just as Byakuya flash- stepped into view.

Cursing, I backed away. I needed a good solid plan. And a good solid stick too. Running back the way I came, I almost crashed into a late night walker. Apologizing, I made to continue my search when they said my name.

"Kera?"

"Uryu?" Stunned, I turned to face him.

"Are you investigating the high spiritual pressure?" he asked, adjusting his glasses.

Okay, so he knows what spiritual pressure is. Should I spill the beans? A high pitched grunt forced my hand.

My hand going to his wrist, I dragged Uryu after me. "Rukia's in trouble, with soul reapers. I need a distraction. And a large stick."

"Soul reapers? I thought as much," he mumbled, before dragging me this time. Standing tall, he handed me the bag of groceries he had.

"What are you doing?" I whisper- yelled, eyeing the distance between us and the soul reapers. We weren't that far away.

"What a Quincy does," he answered, a blue glowing bow appearing in his right hand. I swear my eyes bulged from my head from seeing that. Knocking a blue arrow, barely even substantial to be called an arrow, he let it loose, straight for Renji.

If Renji hadn't perceived it, he would have been killed with an arrow through a temple. As it was, he dodged in the nick of time, snapping his head back. Surprised, he turned to look at us.

"Kera?!" he gawked; Uryu spoke over him.

"Two armed men against one defenceless girl. What is this world coming to? That kind of thing really makes me mad."

"Who are you?" Renji addressed Uryu quickly before turning back to me, pointing a finger. "And what the hell are you doing here?"

"I'm just a classmate," Uryu stated, his voice dropping to a menacing level, "and I hate soul reapers."

"I'm a friend of Rukia's," I started with the same bravado, eyeing Renji, "and I'm not going to let you kill her."

"Kera, Uryu, what are you doing here?" Rukia whispered angrily as we moved to her side. I still didn't have a stick or anything to help me; fear made me clench my fists angrily.

"Just passing by," Uryu began, pushing up his glasses, "No big deal. Well, if you must know, I felt a sudden urge to go to Sunflower Seams, that 24 hour dressmaking shop. There's a branch near here. That's where I was headed at this late hour."

"Uh..." Confused, I just watched as Uryu dug himself a bigger hole.

"I certainly didn't bring this bag with me just so I'd have an excuse for suddenly leaving the house because I sensed the spirit energy of a soul reaper, okay?" I swear his lips turned up into a proud little grin as he readjusted his glasses again. I was certainly getting pissed off with him doing that so many times.

Like anyone is going to believe crap like that.

So engrossed in Uryu's horrible lie, it wasn't until the contents of the bag hit the ground that I noticed that Renji had cut at them. I jumped back a bit too late; Renji caught that and smiled at me.

Crap! He's fast!

"Stop yapping, four eyes!" Renji shouted, pointing his sword Uryu. "I asked a question: Who are you and why is it, Kera, that you're among their little posse?"

I bit my tongue, watching Rukia and Uryu. None of them spoke, but this didn't affect Renji in the slightest.

"Well then, if you don't feel like answering, fine. I can just kill you both and take Rukia."

I bristled at his threat, my lips curling up in a snarl as I widened my stance. Uryu seemed to stiffen as Rukia tried to protest, but Uryu's voice cut through hers.

"I'll answer you: I'm a classmate of Rukia's. One who hates soul reapers."

"That's not what I asked you!" Renji was clearly getting frustrated.

"Uryu," I warned. Maybe we were getting in over our heads here; but he didn't heed my warning.

"I'm Uryu Ishida. Nice to meet you."

Now Renji was the one caught off- guard. "O-kay," he enunciated slowly. "You're strange."

"Well, I just thought you had the right to know. You're a soul reaper but you should know the name of the one who kills you."

"That does it!" Renji roared. "When I'm done with you, Kera's next. Once you're both dead, Rukia won't have any chose but to surrender."

"Bring it," I snarled.

~

It all happened so fast, I could barely keep track. From the minute the battle started, the seeds of doubt had sprouted. I knew, deep down, the Uryu was never going to beat Renji; but I prayed that he would, then I wouldn't have to face off against him and we could put this trouble behind us. Selfish, I know. 

Now, Uryu lay at my feet, coughing vigorously, blood pooling out steadily from underneath him. Fear coursed through my body – Renji would be coming for me next and I had nothing, no weapons, no powers, no hope.

"Well, well, well. What did I tell you?" He stepped forward, a mere metre from my shaking form, looking down at Uryu. "Now, time to finish this." He raised his blade in the air and I couldn't tear my eyes from it.

As it descended, I felt as if time was slowly, crawling along, teasing me. I had to make a decision on what to do: turn tail and run or save my friends.

You can save them, Kera, whispered the blue dragon in my ear, as if she was leaning over my shoulder, watching poor Uryu bleed out. You hold anger and pain close to your heart – use them as your weapons and strike down your foe.

Inside of me, something blossomed. Anger and pain, a concentrated mix of those two emotions from all my years, grew in my chest, burning hotter and hotter. It coursed through my body, tingling in my feet and hands. Resolved burned in my heart and what little fear there was faded like smoke.

"Argh!" I roared, as I punched Renji in the face, his blade falling onto my shoulder as time sped back up. "Leave him alone!"

"What the hell?" He backed away, holding his nose with one hand. Blood poured down through his fingers.

My shoulder throbbed where his zanpakuto had sliced through my clothes and into my skin, but I forced myself to ignore it.

Use the pain, the dragon hissed. So I used it to fuel my anger towards Renji.

"You just got punched by the fallen angel. What are you going to do about it now, Pineapple?"