Chapter 33: Senkai-mon Entrance to the Soul Society

I stood alone in the underground cavern, staring into empty space. Timeless as it was, I could almost feel the minutes creeping by and the closer it got to 1 in the morning, the harder my heart thumped in my chest.

Soon, I would return to the soul society. I played with the yarrow carving on the little chain necklace I had scabbed from Jinta, smoothed down the front of my black singlet, tightened the straps of the braces at my arms, then paced back and forth to leave a worn path on the ground.

Saying I was nervous was an understatement. I was freaking crapping myself. My mind was plagued with horrifying thoughts of Kenpachi and the rest of Squad 11 hunting me down, not to mention the fact that any use of my spiritual energy would result in the whole Soul Society trying to kill me. The biggest worry was what would happen if I tried to enter the Soul Society if I had been banned.

Would I be fried alive? Pushed back into the World of the Living?

Something brushed my leg and, so caught up in my thoughts, I hadn't notice the cat enter. I jumped and let out a squeak, almost calling forth Chiya's sword. The black cat cocked its head to the side.

Heaving a sigh, I bent down to pat it. "Geez, you gave me a fright, cat." It flicked its tail. "It's surprising that Urahara allows you in; he doesn't seem like a person fond of cats." I straightened, cracked my back and looked back at the ladder.

"He has good reason to keep me by his side."

A blank minute passed.

My eyes widened slowly. I looked at the cat. It looked back. I picked up the cat, looked it over, then placed it back on the ground.

"I could have sworn you just talked," I muttered, shaking my head.

"I did. You find that hard to believe?"

Yes, yes I did. Even though I saw his mouth move – for he sounded like a male – I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that a cat, a plain, ordinary animal, had spoken to me.

My mouth flapped for words but nothing came. This was exactly like when I had met Kon. My embarrassment was saved by the creaking of the trap door. I spun, watching as Urahara descended, followed by Tessai, Ichigo and three others.

This early morning was just getting weirder.

"Kera? You're here too?" Orihime asked in surprise as she drew near, followed by the imposing figure of Chad.

Uryu had also appeared, dress in a white uniform with blue trim. I was glad he had recovered fully from Renji's attacks.

"Um, yeah," I answered, flabbergasted, as she threw herself at me and hugged tightly. "But I don't understand, Orihime, how can you see me?" My gigai was lying on my bed upstairs.

"Oh, well you see, it all began when Ichigo saved us a couple of times as a soul reaper and..." she started, but then her eyes wandered and she saw the cavern we were in and my question went straight in one ear and out the other. "Wow! I had no idea this huge space was underneath Mr Kisuke's store! It's cool! It's like a secret base!"

Tessai, with his glasses still cracked from Ichigo's and I's training endevours, bowed before Orihime and grabbed her hands. Tears ran down his cheeks. "I'm touched! What a sublime reaction!"

Thus, Orihime was stolen from me and I was no closer to my answer. I was sure Orihime and Chad had not possessed the ability to see spiritual beings. Then again, I haven't really spent a great deal of time with them nor can I read others abilities like other soul reapers. I decided that I would have to question them both when it was quieter.