Chapter 28: Kicked Out and Sent... Shopping

"Check it out! He's turning into a Hollow!" Jinta exclaimed.

The mask was already halfway formed on Ichigo's face and I was frozen, watching from the edge. I whirled around when I heard Urahara approaching. "Do something, goddamn it! Or he's going to become a Hollow!"

"I'm taking preemptive measures," Ururu said, holding her arm out like it was a weapon of sorts.

"Wait," Urahara grabbed her arm.

"What are you doing?! Stop the process! Save him!" I screamed angrily, grabbing Urahara. "This isn't a joke anymore!"

"Look at him closely," Urahara merely said and I turned my gaze to him. "Ordinarily, when a whole becomes a Hollow, the spiritual body bursts into pieces and rearranges itself. But just like you Kera, he's not following the usual pattern. The mask is coalescing while his body is still whole. That's a sign of his resistance. There's still a remote chance that he can become a soul reaper in time. Let's wait a bit longer until his transformation is complete."

Hesitantly, I stepped away from Urahara and faced the shattered shaft again. Ichigo's screaming became louder and louder until all I could hear was his tortured voice. Is this what I sounded like before my Hollow took over?

My nails dug into my palms as I stood looking down at him. And I knew, I just knew, that Ichigo would beat it. Ichigo would beat the Hollow and prove himself stronger. Because that was just the type of person Ichigo was: he didn't let anything stand in his way.

We barely had to wait a minute and each passing second watered the seed of horror in my chest. The mask had almost completely covered Ichigo's face. Then Ichigo stood and the bonds holding his arms back strained against his strength.

"We can't wait any longer, sir!" Tessai shouted, "I'm switching to suppression mode! Binding spell 99 Number 2! Ban-Kin!" White swaths of something indescribable wrapped around Ichigo. "First incantation! Shiryu! Second Incantation! Hyaku Ren San!" Metal bolts appeared out of the thin air and punctured Ichigo all over his body.

"What're you doing?!" Jinta shouted, afraid. "He'll die if you do that to him!"

My body broke out in a sweat but all I could to was watch. I couldn't so much as force a syllable through the lump in my throat.

"I have no choice! I can barely restrain him!" Tessai exclaimed. "He must be destroyed before this change is complete!"

Destroyed?! "No, Tessai, don't do that!" I found my voice and screamed, gripping the edges of the shaft beside Jinta.

But our shouts had no effect on the man. "Final incantation! Ban-Kin Tai-Ho!" A giant, solid block of rock descended from the sky, falling quickly onto Ichigo.

Then someone grabbed me and forced me to the ground.

The shattered shaft exploded.

The hollow boom echoed for a few seconds as dirt and dust rained down upon our heads.

"What? I-it exploded?!" Jinta cried. "Something's coming out! Is it him?"

The something was still covered in dust as it hit the wall, then the ceiling, before returning to the earth with a ground shuddering thud. I extricated myself from under Urahara's arm, followed by a coughing Jinta.

"What... what the heck? Hey, is it you, mister?" Jinta called out to a dust covered figure in the distance. My skin tingled as I watched the dust slowly part. "Answer me, carrot top! Is it you?! If you're still alive, answer me!"

Two glowing eyes appeared and I stood, feet spread wide. My heart thumped wildly against my chest.

"Something's coming out," someone said but the voice was lost as the figure emerged from the dust and uttered a low guttural sigh. It was Ichigo alright.