Chapter 19: Unwelcomed Visitors

"For the fifth time, what are we doing here?"

"For the fifth time, just be patient."

"Be patient, be patient," I grumbled, peeling my banana as I dangled one leg over the roof I sat on, bringing my other knee up to support my arm. "Be patient for what? We've been out here for an hour." I took a bite of my banana, surveying the ground around us.

Urahara and I were situated on a roof overlooking a quiet, dark street. Night had fallen long ago and the streetlamps lit up the shadows, holding them at bay for now. It was quiet besides the yowling of a stray cat and I began to wonder just what on earth was going on. We were supposed to be recovering my soul reaper powers, not 'being patient' on the edge of a roof.

"You'll see," he replied. A gentle breeze ruffled his coat and hat, flicking my ponytail around me. Shivering, I pulled the hood of the jacket I had snagged from Tessai up over my head. I just couldn't deal with the cold.

With one banana finished, I pulled another one from my backpack beside me. Inside was a whole stash of candy, chips and fruit; a water bottle; spare clothes; and what remained of my zanpakuto. I hadn't known where we were going so I packed as much as I could.

Unpeeling it, I ate the other banana and finished it in no time, before opening a packet of crinkled chips. Lately, I had enormous cravings, like I just wasn't eating enough at breakfast, lunch or dinner. I was always hungry, so I was always eating. Jinta wasn't very happy when I cooked up and ate all the ramen in the cupboard.

Urahara watched me from the corner of his eye and, unnerved, I demolished the rest of the chips, scrunched up the packet and shove it back in my back. I let both legs dangle on the edge as I shoved my hands under my knees to stop me from eating.

Another fifteen minutes later, my butt was numb and we were no closer to retrieving my spiritual pressures than we were before. "How much longer?"

"Just wait."

Groaning, I let myself flop backwards, eyes closed. "Wake me when whatever it is we are looking for happens." Lying on the cold tiles soon became a nuisance and I sat back up, rubbing my tired eyes.

Then I noticed something. Urahara was gone. I blinked but he didn't appear. I waved my hand where he had been standing; no tricks or anything.

"You stupid old man! Where have you gone?" I shouted, making the dogs and cats in the neighbourhood go berserk. Lights came on around the place where I was, some even shouting to shut the hell up.

I sat there fuming, arms crossed. "Stupid Urahara. 'I'll help you'," I mimicked in his voice, "help me, my arse. You probably just wanted me out of the house so I wouldn't eat all the food," I grumbled. One of my hands sought my backpack but that was gone too. "ARGH!" I raged, waving my fists in the air. Now I was hungry and cold.

Only the wind answered me. Standing up, I walked along the edge of the roof, before jumping over to adjoining one. Since he wasn't here, that didn't leave me any reason to still be sitting in the cold. Dreaming of a hot bath, I made my way home; that is, until something stopped me.

Spiritual pressure and a lot of it. Gasping, I dove off the roof, landing in a prickly rose bush. But I didn't complain, clamping a hand over my mouth to silence my panting. My heartbeat pounded in my chest as two figures appeared on the roof I had just vacated. I couldn't see their faces, just black figures, but the spiritual pressure rolling off of them could only be a soul reaper's.

"Huh? Could have sworn..." The one crouched down shook his head to either side.

"Renji, remember our mission; we are here for only one purpose."

"Of course, Captain Kuchiki," replied the other man.

My blood ran cold as I realised my precarious position. Not only was a Captain in the world of the Living, but it was none other than Byakuya Kuchiki, Rukia's brother. The moon slithered out from behind the clouds and illuminated them; I snuggled deeper into the rose bush, ignoring the pricks.

The man crouched down, Renji he had been called, had his red haired tied up high on his head and a set of goggles pushed back up on his forehead, revealing a set of tattooed eyebrows. I remembered him; he'd been there when Yachiru had her meltdown. The other man, Byakuya, wore his captain robes, black hair flowing to his shoulders and held by three metal rings on top of his head, a symbol of the Kuchiki family.

The pattering of footfalls drew my gaze away and it seemed even the two soul reapers had become still and silent, their spiritual pressure slinking closer around them. I parted the bush with a finger, enough to see the back of the person running.

Rukia.

But why is she running? Where is Ichigo? Don't they normally finish Hollow jobs together?

"Rear conformity: 113!" my gaze swung back to Renji, his glasses over his eyes. "Nerve union rate: 88.5! Are you serious? She's really in a gigai? The visual department's info wasn't very good, but... Rukia Kuchiki, we've found you."

Eyes widening, realisation dawned on me. I wasn't the only one the soul society was after. Rukia must have spent too long in the soul society and if they know about her loss of powers..... I didn't even want to think about it. Renji and Byakuya disappeared from view and I sprang into action, untangling myself from the bushes and running after Rukia.

Crap, crap, crap! If they get her, she's dead! Then I stopped in my tracks. Why was I going to risk my life and my identity for a soul reaper I barely even knew? We weren't friends and probably never would be close if we knew each other. I debated turning around and leaving, but one thought rose to mind.

In hindsight, she was exactly like me. Stuck in the Living world because returning to the soul society would mean death or something worse. That thought spurred me on and I caught up to her form just as Renji's voice boomed down from above.

"Yes! You're quite right!" Rukia skidded to astop, stance wide as she swung round and gazed up at Renji standing atop a pole.He drew his zanpakuto as he continued to speak. "But then, because you stayedtoo long... you got to live a little longer than you would have!"