Chapter 47: Stairs and Redheads

A/N: ....Hello? Are my readers still around even though I've taken almost an ENTIRE year to update this novel? 

I can assure you, I am still alive and I am very sorry I haven't gotten round to updating this novel. I hit, well, more than one roadblock with writing these past months but I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN ABOUT MY LOYAL READERS! I have some time free these next few days so I'm going to try and belt out as many chapters as I can and that may involve me finishing the novel, YAY! 

By my calculations (which are usually so astronomically wrong so take this as an estimate lol) there's another 4 or 5 chapters to go. 

Now, onto the chapter. This kind of just feels like a filler chapter (which in Bleach is normal) and I'm not too happy about it because it's... well it just feels like it's lacking for a better word. IDK, guys, tell me what you think!

~~

I craned my head up, following the zigzagging path to take. Steep stairs that practically glowed in the harsh sunlight. Then I still had to go along the bridge to where the Sokyoku was set. Time was slipping through my fingers faster than I liked.

'Why are you hesitating?' Chiya questioned.

"Why couldn't it have been a hill? I hate climbing stairs," I grumbled, steeling myself for the muscle burning I could practically envision.

'Seriously? You hesitate because of cardio?'

"You underestimate how much I hate stairs," I said, placing my foot on the first step. Already my lungs anticipated the exertion and I was panting after 30 steps.

'How on Earth did you ever pass a physical exam?!'

"There were no stairs in it," I gasped out. At this rate, I'd never get there in time. So I did the one thing I knew I'd regret at the top. With a groan, I forced my legs faster until I'd set a very uncomfortable and ungainly jog up.

Pain is necessary if I'm to help save Rukia!

I sweltered beneath the sun, sweat soaking my lower back and under my arms the higher I went. My concentration flagged – is the air getting thinner or is it just because I forgot how to breath? – and the hollow bone melted from my injured leg, revealing a completely healed limb. Phantom aches still pulsated through the ankle with each jarring step and I bit my tongue at the sensations.

Count the steps, it'll make it easier. 1, 2, 3, 4....10...15...26...48....51...............

'Kera, pay attention or you'll bleed out.'

My narrowed vision on my path widened and I slowed, sweat running down my arms. It didn't feel like water though so I looked down to see the hollow bone slipping off, as cold as ice. Beneath it were angry striations, red blotches and skin still peeled back from Paulo's attacks.

I solidified them with a thought, marvelling at the ease in which the hollow casing knit back together over my battered forearms and hands at the simple command.

'You've picked this up much faster than I anticipated,' she said. Beneath her flat tone, I felt her bristling with indignation.

"It... rankles you, doesn't... doesn't it?" I gasped, pausing my slowed gait for a moment to break. A quick, involuntary glance upwards and I groaned – only halfway and my calves might have well been set alight.

Her growl got me moving again.

Stupid... stairs... Even my thoughts were beginning to slur. If I had been at full strength, I wouldn't be having this problem. Stupid... Paulo... The lactic settled in my gut.