Chapter 1

Karmony- earlier in the Hot Springs Pond

It's finally going to happen. The planning, the twisting and turning of every life event leading up to this moment. To have it come to fruition on Winter Solstice; makes it all sweeter. After failing to get the annulment through, I had temporarily lost my focus. But I've walked the tunnels of our ancients, and the forbidden cave. I've sat in quiet contemplation, reading from the voices of our ancestors to see the signs of prophecy to be fulfilled. I shudder to think what my life would have been like, had I not found my destiny.

"Is everything ready?" Hattie asks as she comes to sit by me in the Hot Springs Pond. I move over, tolerating her presence, as a necessary evil to reach my purpose.

"Yes, Jean is already at the Forbidden Cave waiting on Gramm," I stare at Hattie now, daring her to correct me on the pronunciation of Joven's paramour, who I shall not endow with the title of "wife".

"Oh goody, then we have a great view of the show to come, what did your ancient script say would happen?" Hattie leans forward to hear me repeat the words again, but I swear for the last time.

"It was a bit vague, but that when two direct-descendants have a precious metal from over the ocean, which I assume they mean Atlantic Ocean. That when this metal has the essence of both descendants, the spirits would awaken and renew in them a great blessing." I didn't give a direct quote, but, eh, close enough to satisfy Hattie.

"And, you're for sure you're the other descendant?"

"Yes! Now hush, here comes the mistress to my future husband." I move lower into the water, taking no chances that she will see. Tricking Jean into her part, was the easiest. She wants so desperately to get Gramm's approval and to tell our history though art. Now, all Jean has to do, is ask to see the ring, and then bring it to me. I crouch lower.... Here we go!

"Hey, Karmony, why isn't Jean taking the ring? She's just staring at it? What the heck... they are going into the cave, that's not part of the plan." Hattie and I both stand up, trying to get a better view.

They enter in to the cave, and we wait. I look around the Hot Springs Pond, with it being so early in the morning there are only about a dozen people; Hattie and I included. What to do? Maybe I should rush the cave and grab it? I'm taller and stronger than that "other woman." I've trained not only in spirit but in body for this quest.

WHAT THE.........!!!

First thought, EARTHQUAKE!

All around me the water swirls, my eyes glance quickly but all I see is Jean staring into the cave, screaming at something.

The water churns, the undercurrent sweeps us off our feet, while a cold stream enters the turbulent pond. Like a ship on an ocean, fighting the waves of a hurricane, the Dewbies within the Hot Springs are shifted, tossed and brought under only to once again resurface and gasp for air. Fighting, struggling, I make my way to the edge, grasping at anything to anchor my body; as the tumultuous water treats me as if I were no more than a stick upon the waters.

Looking to my left I see other Dewbies quickly leaving, the once tranquil, peaceful waters. The pond is now dark, unsettled and shifting in direction and temperature. Hattie is next to me, straining to grab me. Should I leave her? No, not even I am that cold-hearted. Quickly, I grab her and pull her to the edge. Both of us scramble to get over the side barrier to safety.

Reaching for our clothes, we speak not a word. My body feels cold, my thoughts feel cold, everything around me feels cold. I am chilled, and quickly losing focus. Covering our bathing suits, I realize things did not go according to the words I had read. Where did I go wrong?

"Karmony come on! Let's go to City Hall, we must've missed something in the ancient tablet." Hattie is grabbing my arm and pulling me forwards. Looking at her arm, it's not its usual pink color, and I feel no warmth in her touch. She turns back to look at me, and her eyes have turned dark, no shine or awareness. Do I look the same?

Turning my head left then right, I see other Dewbies, that were in the water with us, standing in a trance or moving in random paths. All are ashen in color and even their cheeks are sunken in.

"Dewbies, please move to the nearest emergency exit. Take enough elixir for a week, pack only essentials. Evacuate, repeat, EVACUATE Dewstone, NOW!"

That's Joven's dad's voice, and then I see Joven rush from the cave carrying "her" and following others to the Reflection Room. Slowly, my feet start remembering how to walk. My thoughts are hazy, as if moving in a dream. Hattie keeps dragging me forward, my legs feel like they are encased in concrete blocks. My eyes cannot seem to tell my brain what I'm seeing... Families of Dewbies are flooding from the vicinage's and rushing to Central Control or up emergency ladders to the fastest escape route.

NO...NO...NOOO!! This is all wrong, this isn't the way.

Turning to my right, I see Joven running my direction. Now, is my chance, if he can get the ring from "her," we can right the wrong; right now!

Stepping in front of him, he slips past me and keeps running. He looks back at my face, but seems confused by what he sees. Seeing Joven snaps me from my trance, and I can focus once more.

"Quick, Hattie, to City Hall, we must incorporate Plan B." I tell her, while shaking off her arm and leading the way to the stone steps of City Hall. "Do you have the chloroform we took from the medical clinic?"

"Yes, It's in my bag. Why are our clothes changing colors? It's like all color is washing away from us?" she asks. But I ignore her question and try and think of a way to get our hands on Glamm.

"Think, nitwit, we need that ring!" I scream at Hattie.

"I don't think it will be a problem," Hattie says, with her back to me.

"Why do you say that?" I say trying to look over her shoulder.

"Cuz she's running right towards us!" Hattie points, then simply steps back, waiting for the fly to step into the spider's web.

Capturing Glamm was easy, but the ring removal was certainly not! Going to Plan B, Hattie puts the chloroform drenched cloth over "her" mouth and BAM! I only wanted the ring, not the whole body, but this could work into our favor.

Quickly, Hattie and I drag "her" through a low emergency escape route, saved for our elderly or handicapped. Up. Up. Up, we go to UpAbove. Brrrr! We should've brought coats!

Having to move Gramm took too much time, we need to hide her quickly, before Joven arrives.

"Where should we take her?" Hattie asks, while breathing hard from moving Gramm such a far distance.

"Somewhere nobody can find her, so I can get that blasted ring off her finger! She probably gained too much wait with all the funnel cakes she eats." I'm having to raise my voice above the howling winds of the winter weather.

Too late, Joven and Heif appear in front of us by the fountain, thinking quickly I turn Gramm to face Joven. Maybe he will see reasoning now? I can make him see, with us standing side by side; clearly, he can see that I'm the better choice. Joven and I are both from the same world. I can make him happy. Only I can fulfill his destiny. We were written in the Ancient words, the "stars" of our shared past.

A noise from behind us, startles Hattie and I, and our grip loosens on "her". For the briefest moment I have the upper hand, the advantage is with me. Then, before even turning back around to Joven, he has sprinted forward, scooped up Gramm and is walking towards Heif. Stunned, unable to move, I watch as my future husband cradles "the other woman" and announces to the crowd and the howling winds, that Gramm is expecting their first child and walks away.

SHUT THE CREEK UP!