Chapter 41

Joven

"So, tomorrow is the BIG day huh?" I can't help but tease my best friend. He's waited for this day for five months and even managed to keep it a secret that Karmony has been wearing his Purity Ring under her shirt this whole time. I asked him once why he gave it to her early to hold for him, but he just shrugged and said she wasn't able to get one, so now she has his. That, of course, caused many more questions to pop into my head, but somethings are better left a secret between two engaged Dewbies.

"Oh, I'm ready" Heif say, "But, are you ready?"

It is a big day for me as well, the reestablishment of Dewstone had gone smoothly and we even had the Purity Ring ceremony for the 8th graders, promoting to high school. Then, in late spring, Susan got her wish and late one night, she eloped with her husband to the beyond. It was a time of mourning for our community, but she had left quite a legacy in her wake. I even heard her twin granddaughters, were both dating, that alone would have made her shout the dead to life!

Sometimes, I would just sit at my desk, playing with my random office supplies and think of Susan. The joy she brought to so many lives, and the last thing she accomplished was bringing Pann's parents back and laid them to rest in our mountain with all Dewbies. It wasn't till we laid her to rest, beside her husband that I learned of her maiden name. She was born Susan Hughes... any relation to Richard Douglas-Hughes; we'll never know.

Maybe, if we hear from Michael, we can ask him to look up her family tree from beneath the lighthouse. Or maybe, after the kids are born, we can take a trip up there and I can show Pann around West Mooring, Michigan. It's a quaint little town, and a summer vacation would be perfect.

"Hello, Joven?" Heif says, pulling me back from my memories.

"Get your hands out of my face and play your cards," as I push his hands away.

"I did play... FIVE minutes ago! Are you worried about Pann or your replacement on the Honorable Council Head Master?" I play a card, and then drift back into my memories.

"No, the election went smoothly, and I think Rory is perfect for the job. His wife, Megan, will keep him on the straight path. And Pann? Well, I wouldn't be a typical new dad, if I wasn't worried. She's due in three weeks and I'm ready to have this part over with and meet my babies."

"Still not going to tell us boys or girls huh?" as Heif plays another card in our game of gin rummy.

"Nah, mom was aggravated, because she had to paint the room in neutral colors" I laugh at the memory.

"The girls should be done with their nails by now, shouldn't we go get them?" Heif says throwing down his cards and giving up on even concentrating.

"Absolutely NOT!" I say, pushing Heif back down, "You want to disrupt a VERY pregnant, hormonal woman and then make your bride more nervous? Dude, this is the last chance you're going to get to finally throw that Ring at somebody," I add, just to annoy him more. "You will see Karmony tomorrow morning on the bridge for the Sunrise Service on Summer Solstice. I can't believe it was only a year ago, Pann and I were standing on that bridge."

"Yep, and you were worse than me, at least I've got reassurance MY wife will be saying her vows and won't put the ring under the bed; ouch!" he deserved that punch!

"I need to get home to Pann; she's been complaining about her back hurting all day." I stand to leave Heif's house and look around the room.

"What are you looking for?" Heif asks while looking around the room, as if something is out of the place.

"Nothing, I just remember when Pann and I got married.... and I don't want to be back in your house, for at least six months!" I smile, good memories, indeed.