Chapter 38

Joven

Everyone starts to disperse and prepare for the returning to Dewstone for their families to come back to their homes. I'm approached by the City Council members, but I hold tight to Pann's hand. All the things we've been through, I just want to take my wife and find my house and get reacquainted with her all over again.

"Joven, a word please," Charles asks, with the rest of the council members.

"It's fine, Joven, I'll just go talk with your parents. I'm not going anywhere, and Joshua is already heading to City Hall with the Ancient silver. Unless there's another tablet hidden somewhere that I should know about?" She gives me a kiss on the cheek and a small laugh. I'm not quite at the laughing point yet; about any of this.

"I know I speak for all the council members, when I say how thankful we are for the sacrifice you and Pann were willing to take. We are, of course, saddened to see Michael and his parents leave. Before everything starts getting crazy with returning Dewbies, we need to vote on punishments for Karmony and Hattie," Charles says while casting a glance towards Heif.

As if Heif knows we are talking about his fiancé, he looks our way and his eyes narrow. I know some of the history of Karmony, and that she feels contritely sorry for her part in this, but still some retribution is required.

"I agree," thinking quickly of a resolution, so I can get my wife home. "Hattie definitely can no longer work at City Hall. She abused her position there and added to the drama. Karmony was misled, but still that doesn't excuse the fact she should have sought counseling for her discoveries. I suggest instead of banishment, we have both girls do community service in UpAbove and here is Dewstone. Letters of apology to the citizens of Dewstone, and an open forum of questions and answers, so no secrets remain."

All four council members turn and converse amongst themselves. I see Heif approaching, but I put my hand up in silent plea. He needs to trust me, that I'm not trying to seek any revenge on Karmony for the harm, to not only my wife but all the dwellers that were misplaced during the holidays, and the ones that were in the Hot Springs Pond when the waters shifted.

"We are agreed, and only add that you also be in the question-and-answer forum, and a vote of confidence be given following the proceedings," Peggy says, and they all wait to hear my answer.

I recognize my part in the catastrophe, and I nod my head in acceptance of their decision. If this means I, also, lose my job, then it's a small part to pay to keep Pann safe with me. We all shake hands and go our different ways.

"Well, what's going to happen?" Heif pounces on me, as soon as the members have left my area.

"I know Karmony feels bad, Heif, but there must still be a penalty," my hands stop him from interrupting me. "Yes, I know you love her, and she will soon be your wife. But I bet if you ask her, she would agree that some penance is required. There will be no banishment, but community service, a letter of apology and a chance for all residents to have their questions answered. Not just from her and Hattie, but me also."

"What about Billy?"

"He was just in the wrong place when the waters shifted, and not part of the original plan of destruction to our civilization. He will be able to keep his job in Dewstone, but I'm betting he never gets near Hattie again," and we both laugh.

"Everything okay?" Pann asks, as she slides her arm around my waist.

"It is now" I reply and kiss her cheek, wanting to do more, but holding it in. Will this anxiety filled feeling of almost losing her ever calm down? I'll just keep holding her, until my pulse can learn to beat at a normal pace again.

"So, tell me about this wedding ring you gave me and why didn't I know about the Winter Solstice warning?" BAM! My pulse is off and running for a whole different reason.

"Well, wife, it will take a while to tell the story, but please remember how much you love me and that I'm soon to be a father." We both smile at each other, and I begin to tell her of hidden tablets, silver from across the ocean, and my stupidity in not telling her. Thank goodness, divorce is very difficult and that exits from Dewstone are all monitored.