Chapter 2

Heif

I stand staring for only a minute or two, after my best friend announces to all bystanders that he's going to be a dad. Shock and elation seem to run through my system together, then my brain quickly reminds me I'm standing in the cold; and freezing. More importantly though, I look at Karmony and know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she needs someone to lay down the law with her or a quicker route to just give her the spanking she obviously didn't get as a child.

Seeing other Dewbies move forward, and realizing I'm going to have to be the voice of Reason, as Joven has emotionally "checked out," I start to give orders. Walking quickly toward Karmony, before she can escape, I take her arm, rotate her and throw her over my left shoulder. I hear a string of cuss words come from her pretty mouth.

"Karmony, so help me if you don't shut-up, I won't be responsible for my actions," again I hear her cuss, a nasty habit coming from a female or male. It shows a lack of vocabulary options. "I warned you Karmony," is all the warning I give her, before swatting her bottom three hard times. Not to be deterred Karmony lets another rip from her mouth, and again I apply the hand of correction to her seat of defiance.

"I can do this all day long Karmony, I've got nothing else to do. Since, you've closed an entire civilization down, I can center all my attention on you. Now, will you stop cussing?"

Her response is to start beating my lower back with her fists. That's fine, as long as I don't hear the offensive things coming from her cute mouth. Letting her continue to give me a back massage, I can now focus on the other Dewbies.

Not surprising, they are all staring at the show Joven and I just put on. Well, step right up, and see what a frustrated Dewbie looks like. The mist has always kept us content, in a happy sort of state of mind in our world. But I'm thinking little Miss Dictator, hasn't spent much time in the Hot Springs Pond.

"Quick, grab any able-bodied Dewbie and start rounding up the Dewbies that were in the water when it shifted. I have an idea that might bring them back around. Karmony, so help me, I'll wear your sit spot out, quit twisting." I pause, giving her a moment to chill out and continue on with the Dewbies. "Text me when you have them rounded and the location of each Dewbie, and I will reply with the next move. They should be easy to locate, given their dark "look" compliments of the river shifting. Mr. Ainsworth, please notify Karmony's father I have her and then tell my parents that I am fine and will contact them later today. Now, hurry, disperse and check in with me with you have everyone in a secure location."

"Umm Heif, on behalf of Karmony's dad, I need to voice my concern over your treatment of her and then ask your intentions?" Mr. Ainsworth says and then waits uncomfortably for my answer.

"Please tell Henry, Karmony's father, that I am assessing her for any damage from the shifting of the waters, a medical physician will also be called in for an exam, and she will remain with me until such time she remembers her Dewbie upbringing. My Purity ring is in intact, and will remain so." I say while shifting Karmony around on my shoulder. She's quit beating my back; shame, it felt good.

"Good enough for me," Mr. Ainsworth says, then leans in and whispers, "Good Luck," salutes and walks off. Soon, Karmony and I are alone in the frozen, white city park. I start walking past the south entrance, across the street, and one block over to the right.

"Where are you taking me "Heifer?" Oh, my Karmony, thinks to be funny, huh?

"I'll let that one slide, Karmony, but don't push your luck. We are going to a safe house. Dewstone keeps one for each City Council Member, Central Control Room Worker, and Granary Product Manager, which is me," I add smiling. "I know you will be so worried over your fellow Dewbies, so let me put your mind at ease. Within Burlap are several more, bigger, safe homes, plenty of the UpAbove residents used to be Dewbies that open their homes, hotels, motels, and boarding houses. Every City Council committee is tasked with emergency plans for any disaster, even for "Tsunami Karmony."

Walking through the snow-covered sidewalk and slipping only once we arrive at my safe house designated location. Using one hand I input the code, and the door electronically opens. It's a two-story townhome, faded brick, but updated on the inside. I enter, closing the door with my foot behind me, ready to put my "shipment" down, almost gently, but not really.

"What's the code?" Karmony asks.

"Really Karmony? You think I'm going to hand over the code?" I rub my head, quickly losing my patience, "you know what you're right, this is ridiculous." I take her by the hand and walk her to the entry, and slide open the panel with numbered keys. "Okay, just put the number in as I give it to you; ready?" I wait for her nod, "Okay, the code is 8...7...6...5...4...3..." she slowly turns her head to look at me, with fury in her eyes, "2...1... did you get it?

"You HEIFER!" Karmony screams at me.

"Right Karmony, like I'm just going to hand over the code, seriously? While I'm at it; I'll just give you the combination to the vaults at Ft. Knox. Now get your buttocks in the bathtub." I demand and point to the stairs leading to the upper level of my townhome.