Chapter 26

Karmony

Seriously??? I can't believe Heif said those things! Rubbing my hand, it still stings from my hand connecting with his cheek. I've seen it done on television dozens of times; I had no idea how much it hurts. Well.... I'm guessing it hurt Heif too... but he had it coming! To think he would think so low of me!

Having run past my parents crying, answering their questions through the door, I now lay soaking in my elixir bath. IF I ever entertained the idea of being with Heif, we would need a gallon of elixir a day! Or maybe just start an I.V. drip of the stuff in both of us.

Finally done with that, I put my pajamas on and crawl into bed. Silently wishing that next year, will be better than the previous year...I drift off to thoughts of Heif standing in the street...alone.

BUZZ! BUZZ!

"Open the door"-Heif

Did I hit him too hard, does he not have any sense in that thick skull of his? Where's my baseball bat? This time I'll make him see stars!

"Karmony- Hattie has Pann-open the darn door!"-Heif

Sitting up in bed, well that got my attention. Still in my two-piece pajamas I run down the stairs and throw the door open.

There stands Heif, looking stressed and haggard all at the same time. He pushes past me and I close the door behind him. He wastes no time in telling me all the events that happened up until this moment. Knowing my mom is still asleep, I drag him by the arm back up to my room and quietly close the door.

"So, what do you need from me? I haven't talked to Hattie since the day of the Dewstone river water turning?" I ask Heif, who seems to be looking oddly at my room, "Heif, have you ever been in a girl's room before?" Well, looky there, Heif can blush!

"No, but that's not important right now. You have a connection to Hattie, she still thinks you want the ring, but you don't, right?" Heif asks me with a raised eyebrow.

Walking past him, I open my closet and reach for my baseball bat and turn to face him, which has him throwing up both his hands in defense.

"Okay, okay, you don't want the ring, got it." And I slowly put the bat back down, "but Hattie thinks you do, I need you to message her please?"

I walk over and get my phone, sending a message to Hattie.

"Hey girl, found the ring yet?"-Karmony

I turn and show Heif what I had written, and he nods with approval. We wait five minutes and realize no answer is coming. No way to ping her phone, as she has probably turned it off. Heif starts rubbing his head in agitation.

"Well, it was worth a shot," he says then takes my phone and inputs his phone number and hands it back to me. "We've got a group out looking, your dad is with them. Every few hours, we are planning to shift searchers. We have a group thread to keep everyone appraised of where we have looked and notified all Dewbies, except Hattie, of course" he turns to head back to the door, "Get some sleep, I'll message you if we hear anything."

"Wait" I say, motioning him to stop, "don't you need my phone number?"

"I've had that for that last five years," winks and walks out my door, down the stairs and out the front door.

After tossing and turning all night, I get a few hours of sleep. Waking up, I immediately check my phone. No missed calls or messages from Hattie, but a couple from Heif.

"I'm sorry, Karmony, I let my jealousy override my brain"-Heif

Well, that's true, he wasn't using his brain, at all! But, jealousy?? From what??

"Finally got in touch with Joven, he arrives at 2pm. Going to catch some sleep, then I'll be by to pick you up at 12 noon. If Hattie sees you, maybe she will come out of hiding, and no, I would never put you in danger. Esp., now that I know you have a baseball bat"-Heif