Chapter 33

Karmony

As we exit Dewstone, my parents are walking in front of me, when I feel a hand slide into mine. Raising my head sharply I see Heif, walking beside me. Too tired or emotionally drained to complain I leave his hand in mine.

"Karmony, your parents need some time alone, come home with me," Heif whispers in my ear, as goose bumps dance upon my arms. He's right, dad is still weeping, and mom is too. They need some time alone. Giving them each a kiss, I promise them I will see them tomorrow at the appointed time at Reflection Room.

Heif and I walk hand and hand to his house, this time I'm not over his shoulder. It does feel odd to enter on my own feet with an upright view.

"We need to talk," Heif says and walks me to the couch.

"Will this be involving ropes or washcloths?" and relieved when he laughs and shows me his open hands.

"I know today has been hard on you, and I don't want to add to any emotional distress, but I have a couple of questions."

Thinking he wants to know about the diary, I nod my head for him to go on.

"I know you have the birthmark" and holds up his hand to silence me, "the second time I placed you in the elixir waters, your wet shirt rose up and I saw your lower back" and he laughs, the little devil.

"Well, thank you for not telling my dad that, not sure how I would keep him from killing you," I respond.

"Karmony, why do you have a butterfly tattoo behind your left ear?" I jump up from the couch ready to storm to the front door, but his words stop me, "STOP!" he sighs out loud, "Please sit down" and he gets up and tries to lead me back to the couch, but I'm not budging, "if you trust me, I have an idea," and I nod yes.

Silently we climb the stairs together, still holding hands. We got to my old room, and he directs me to change into a shirt and a pair of shorts I had left behind, when I packed in a rush on Christmas Day.

I hear him in the master bathroom, and walk in. Heif is bent over and adjusting the temperature of the water and adding the elixir oils. I take a minute to appreciate the fine view. He's found candles from somewhere and has lit a few. He reaches behind my shoulder and turns off the lights, and then climbs into the over-sized bathtub. After he is all the way in, he holds up his hand, as if silently inviting me to join him.

Trusting him is something I have learned to do, so I accept his hand and climb in. He's placed a thick towel between our bodies, and he pulls me back against his chest. In the glow of the candles, I see his Purity Ring, as I begin to lean back.

Slowing he scoops warm water and let's run down my arms and it feels so delicious. So relaxed, this feels so right, like I've waited my whole life to get to the point, to be in Heif's arms.

"Karmony, I'm going to talk for a little bit, and if you feel like it, I would like you to talk about anything you want," Heif whispers but it seems to echo in the bathroom.

"I know the tattoo of a butterfly means beauty, change and freedom—" he pauses and runs more water down my arms, "I know you are fiercely independent, and want to be in control of everything around you, as if not having control will cause you harm—" again he pours more water down my arms—" I know you teach self-defense classes—. and I know I've never seen you with a man, heard of you with a man, and I know you don't wear a Purity Ring." He must've felt me tense, because his arms come around and give me deep pressure in a bear hug. I can feel my body relaxing—.

Can I really trust Heif? The walls I've worked so hard to erect, having determined never to marry, could I let those convictions go the first time I feel temptation? Had I married Joven, it would have been in name only. But I know Heif, and he would NOT accept a marriage in name only, with no physical joining. Honestly, I couldn't be trusted not to jump Heif the minute we said our vows.