Chapter 20

Heif

Tracking Hattie and Billy, and their growing list of infractions, coupled with my duties at the grainer, and then in my spare time watching Karmony and Joven's house, has me seeing double from fatigue. Home is all I want, I'm tired, and surely, I won't be plagued by dreams of Karmony; again. I thought when you confessed your love for someone, music played in the background, people begin dancing and fade out to the happily ever after couple. Didn't actually go that way for me, or Joven, but at least he has his wife now.

RING! RING!

My first thought is to ignore the phone, but what if it's Pann or Hannah?

"Hello" I say, without checking my caller I.D.

"Heif?" Henry says, his voice is very recognizable.

"Yes, speaking, how can I help you Mr. Douglas?", I ask, walking by Central Control and giving a wave to Hank and Stan.

"It's time we had a talk, can you please come by the house.... Now?" Hang me on a Hook! What did Karmony tell them? I actually had expected this phone call much sooner, like right after she went home. But my cell phone remained silent.

"Yes sir, I'm just leaving Dewstone. I'll be there in about ten minutes." I've always been one that takes challenges on headfirst, hiding from them, does NOT make them go away, just makes them worse.

I hail a cab, and I'm knocking on the door of Karmony's house with three minutes to spare.

Mr. Douglas opens the door and has me follow him to the living room. He offers me a chair and we both sit down at the same time. I look around for Karmony's mom, but it's just me and dad, great, just great!

"I thought it best if we just have this little chat man to man, agreed?" I nod my head yes and he continues, "Can you tell me anything about what happened in your house with my daughter?"

Oh, Hang me on a hook! What to say? How much does he know? You know what, I've changed my mind, hide from your problems, don't face them... run!

I turn and look at the exit, why is it so far away? I look at Henry, he's middle 50's, I could beat him to the door, no challenge at all. Sizing him up, I'd say I outweigh him by a good fifty pounds.

"Son, did you hear my question?" Henry asks again, waiting for my answer.

"Yes sir," deciding to avoid the truth as much as possible, "I took Karmony home with me (over my shoulder), tried to settle her nerves (by spanking her bottom) from the horrific event that just happened, tended to her while she was ill (mentally), made sure she got the elixir waters she needed (by sitting on her with all our clothes on in the bathtub), gave her a safe place to rest her head (while roped to me, but only handcuffed the first night), listened to her talk (while tricking her with a game), and then let her go (untied from the chair and gag removed) back to you, here, in your house, with you, and your wife." I actually feel the sweat forming on my forehead. Henry wears glasses, no way he can see it glistening on my face ready to fall.

Henry takes his glasses off and wipes them and puts them back on his face.

"You know what I think happened" he says, leaning in towards me. Well, at that close distance he's bound to see the sweat, so I lean back in my chair, "I think you and Karmony were alone, I think you and Karmony played around, I think I may here the pitter patter of little Heif's through this house, that's what I think." And He pounds the chair to make it more of a statement. Joven is darn lucky he never had to deal with an irate father!

"Sir" I begin, knowing this time I can tell the honest truth. "In no time, while Karmony was with me, did our lips touch, or our bodies join. I have my Purity Ring intact;" touching it through my shirt, "and I returned Karmony to you, the way she entered my home."

He looks me up and down, taking his time sizing me up. I have an overwhelming urge to call my own dad and ask for an excuse note to leave.

"Good to know, Heif, my wife and I have noticed some differences and decided you must be to blame," great! What did Karmony do now? "She came back to us .... Well... She came back to us a well-behaved young lady. She's been polite, courteous and now is doing volunteer work at the shelter in Burlap. We want to thank you, but also warn you," warn me? Is Karmony still out for blood? "If word leaks out that you and her were alone for five days, are you prepared to defend her honor and yours?" And there you have it, the reason for my summoning. I don't blink, I don't wait, I don't have a second thought before I'm saying...

"Yes sir, I would always defend Karmony's honor and keep her safe," I smile.

"Good... Good... she's at the shelter now, and it's gotten dark, would you please escort my daughter home?"

I smile, shake his hand, and hurry down to the shelter. Standing in the entrance, my eyes connect with Karmony's and relief runs through me as she smiles and walks over to me.

"Are you my escort home?" she asks, and slips into her jacket and mittens.

"Yes ma'am," Holding out an arm, and we link up and start our walk back to her house.

"Your Dad called me to the house tonight." She snaps her head to mine at hearing my words, "why didn't you tell him what really happened at my house? And, no, I certainly did not, I could just tell from his language that he didn't know."

"Oh, thank goodness, I don't want to see my dad in jail for murder," she giggles. "I don't know why I didn't, even when I learned the truth about your little Reward Game, really Heif?"

My laughing seems to catch her by surprise, and she laughs, too. The snow has started to fall, again, and we slow our walk.

"I guess I didn't want my dad to think bad of you, you are an important part of Dewstone, you know?"

"We ALL are Karmony, but thank you for not throwing me under the bus, with your dad. I had a question I wanted to ask you... um.... would you mind if I called you some time?" I ask, and nervously await her answer.

"That would be fine." Yes! First question affirmative, so on to the next question.

"Okay, would you mind if we went out some time?"

"You mean as friends? Sure, that would be fun, but Heif, leave the rope at home," and she laughs, but I stop her and turn her to face me.

"No, Karmony, I want to date you. I've talked to your father, and I would like to start a courtship with you," I'm thinking I'll get a hug, a smile or maybe a little kiss. You should never underestimate a woman's mind... ever!

"No, I'm sorry, Heif, we can only ever be friends, I'm sorry," and we are now standing at her front door.

"Why Karmony? Was it because of what happened at my house? Would it help if I apologized?" she shakes her head no, we have the moonlight, the romantic scene is set, I just need my happily ever after. "What then? Is it Joven, your would-be lover? Or maybe it's my skin color? That I'm a shade darker than you? Are you too good for me?"

SLAP!!!!!!!!!!

That gets me a hard smack across my cheek, my head whips to one side and I slowly turn back to face her again. Tears are starting down her face, and she's rubbing her hand.

"Never, never, approach me again Heif! And never insult me that way, you have now hurt me more than I thought ever possible: Goodnight!" and she stomps into her house.

And there goes my happily ever after... a see a blur of a pink fluffy coat before the door is slammed.... On my heart...